iPad 3 or MacBook Air?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by glittersparkles, Mar 9, 2012.

1. glittersparkles macrumors member

basically i'd like one or the other.. i'm studying art at uni, which is what i;d use it for. any help?

2. 99problems macrumors newbie

a MBA for higher education will make your life a lot easier.

3. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

If it's a choice of one or the other, definitely go with the MBA.

4. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

I had the same concern when the new MBA launched. MBA if you're in need of normal functions and need to connect with other peripherals. iPad if you're going to be consuming data and need long battery life. If you had nothing and you only can have one, choose the MBA. If you have a desktop or laptop already, choose the iPad.

----------

I should post infographics on my website for this stuff lol.

5. bornblind, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012

bornblind macrumors 6502

bornblind

I was in the same boat. I have the 1st Gen iPad and iPhone 4S. I thought about upgrading the iPad I have. For near the same price of the top iPad, I can pickup a Macbook Air. My 1st Gen iPad is still doing just fine.

6. MikeyTree macrumors 6502

This.

If you're going to be in classes, taking notes, and writing essays, an iPad on its own isn't nearly as good as a MBA on its own.

If you're going to be doing digital artwork, with Photoshop or using a Wacom tablet, you definitely need a full computer. If you anticipate doing a lot of processor-heavy Photoshop, you might want to even consider a MPB with expandable RAM and a dedicated graphics card.

7. importluva macrumors member

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

+1. A student needs to have a more capable computer than a iOS tablet.

----------

I like this idea even better. :D

9. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

I do Photography and rarely need to bring my MBA in for work, and have ordered an iPad. If the iPad means my MBA is never undocked I'll look into an iMac.

Bottomline, if you don't have a mac, MBA.

10. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Exactly what I'm doing.

11. beret9987 macrumors regular

MBA for sure. The iPad is great, but it won't be replacing a laptop for the foreseeable future(at least in my usage scnearios)

12. IXDoubleDXI macrumors regular

I'd say pick up refurbs of both if you can swing it (iPad 2, obviously). If you're dead set on a 3rd gen iPad, I'd say get the MBA first. I had an iPad 1, sold it for MBA, now i'm waiting for my refurb iPad 2 to get delivered next week. I didn't see a need to drop an extra $150 on the latest iPad, so figured $349 for a refurb worked for me.

13. ecib macrumors regular

ecib

MBA. No question. Even for things like digital media, the MBA is more full featured and powerful than an iPad. iPad doesn't even have a file-system. One day in the not so distant future, iPad will be a viable option as a stand-alone PC. Today is not that day, nor will it be for the next couple of years probably.

14. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

close your eyes and pick one. Yuuup! I studied art decades ago long before the advent of computers, and I did well, so your choice should be a matter of chance.

15. homeboy macrumors 6502

MBA without a question. I graduated from university last year in January and for me the iPad has been the perfect device for home computing since I don't have any homework and or any need to spend hours in front a computer, and thus I scrapped my plans to buy a new laptop and just use my three year old one for the occasional design, journo and photo editing work.

But for 90% of my computing needs the iPad is perfect but for a student it nothing more than a distraction and is nothing the one can actually do much work on. While at uni my second computer was a netbook. It only had 2-4 hours battery life but when it came down to it, I managed to take it with me on holiday abroad and get a 3,000 word assignment done. Is that feasable on an iPad? Absolutely no.

16. ARH1956 macrumors 6502

Go to an Apple store and handle a MB Pro before you decide. I love my MBA and iPad but the MB Pro should be considered as well.

17. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

An iPad is more of a toy. It does light stuff like reading or games but nothing beats a MBA for school.

18. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Also wanted to add that if anyone is doing any decent amount of iPhoto/photo editing, or iMovie/video editing, you'll want to upgrade to MBP15 or iMac. MBA is a self-contained solution whereas the iPad will feel frustrating for printing, networking, and a few other tasks.

19. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

An iPad is a toy. A very nice toy but basically a toy. If you need it for work or study the the MBA every time. If you are dead set on the iPad go for a separate keyboard like the Cruxcase but I think you will regret it. Of course if you have the money go for both!

20. gabrielbsb macrumors newbie

IMO

iPad for gaming and reading stuff
    If gaming and reading isn't your major interest, MBA

21. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

Two completely different computers and experiences

Both Amazing Machines

Both are products that Apple owns the lion share of the market (ultrabooks, & tablets).

I own both but for school and you can only have one Macbook Air can do more.

22. TheSuperSteve macrumors 6502

I've never seen the point of going for a laptop over an iPad just because of the physical keyboard. That's like going with a Blackberry over an iPhone because it has a physical keyboard.

I take notes in my university perfectly fine using my first-generation iPad. The apps I use are Evernote for grammar classes and the like. I use Noteshelf with a stylus for Math classes. I keep all my notes on Evernote (I export the handwritten notes from Noteshelf straight to Evernote with a few taps).

But it could just be me. I type just as fast on the iPad's virtual keyboard as I do on a real keyboard. So personally, I would go with the iPad. Your skill set and needs could be different from mine. So its something to think about.

23. glittersparkles thread starter macrumors member

hmm.. thanks for the help. i'm still stuck though, haha. as i do have a windows 7 netbook, but it doesn't do as much as i'd like, and the family have an iMac, which i much prefer.. which is why i am tempted by the macbook air - my friend said an ipad is basically a large iPod touch, is this true?

24. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Hardware wise, current MBA is understandably lack lusting over the new iPad. Retina display, a GPU that even more powerfull than Intel HD 3000 on MBA, enough CPU for daily computing needs.

All it needs is a serious OS like OSX. It has full blown Photoshop, Illustrator and whatnot, a proper office apps for writing essays, art students still have to write essays, right? :D And since OP is in university, even if it's art major, a proper laptop is a necessity. I'd make it a primary choice, and if within a year or so I have spare money, than I'll get an iPad, who knows wha Apple would have on the next iPad.

So yeah, unless you have an adequate laptop/desktop, go with MBA first. iPad is a secondary device no matter what, maybe not because of the hardware anymore, but more to the OS. If iPad runs full OSX, wow .. I don't think MBA would be able to hold a candle against it, just snap the bluetooth keyboard and trackpad, and voila .. a proper laptop with reasonable power .. but fortunately we're not there yet.