iPad 3 or MBA?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Frankied22, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

Ok so I know these threads are always coming up, but I figured I'd ask anyway to get some opinions and input. This is my situation: as of right now I have roughly $1150 to spend on a new computer. I'm trying to decide between going with a custom built gaming rig (my buddy is offering to sell me his graphic card for $100 so I could realistically build a decent gaming rig for $550) and an iPad 3 (or refurbished iPad 2 depending on if the 3 will be a worthy upgrade), or going with a refurbished 13" MBA w/ 4gb ram and 128gb SSD. I am without a computer right now so I am trying to decide what will be best. What do you guys think?

2. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

What (besides gaming - assuming that's a wintel machine?) do you plan on using the device for?

3. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

Personally I would recommend going the Gaming Rig + iPad. That way you have both you desktop and a portable device. I personally replaced my old PowerBook G4 with and iPad and have a Gaming Rig as my main computer, to me this setup is the best of both worlds.

4. Frankied22 thread starter macrumors 68000

Frankied22

I do game from time to time so having a beefy gaming rig would be nice but it's not really a must. I play BF3, Skyrim, The Witcher 2, L4D2, CS Source, and Sims 3. Besides gaming I do web browsing, email, media consumption, music, photo, light music recording and editing (GarageBand), light video editing (iMovie), and word processing

5. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

I kind of agree with the previous poster.
    The reason to have an iPad is to gain mobility. Unless you plan on playing PC/Mac games while mobile, the iPad makes more sense, specially if you get the one with 3G.

The iPad 3 promises to have a lot of new features, more power, etc., but we will not know for sure until it's released. You'll need to wait until then to make a final decision.

You can always access your PC/Mac remotely from your iPad when necessary.

6. LeeM macrumors 6502a

my ipad is currently sat next to my computer screen as a very handy touch screen document reader while im writing up a project proposal. while the macbook is nice, id have an ipad alongside a cheaper computer anyday.
    im replacing my windows machine with a mac as well but i wouldnt give up my ipad if i had the option.

7. TjeuV macrumors 6502

If you don't have a computer at the moment I'd suggest you pick the macbook air. Personally I see the iPad as an addition to a computer.

8. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

I agree. An iPad makes sense if you already have a computer, and can make a good addition to it, but it can't compete with a computer.
    Money wise, I'd invest in a computer.

9. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I would always upgrade or do the computer first.

The iPad is a luxury, not a necessity.