Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Hey everyone.

Ive got the iPad 1 and love it. I use it everyday a lot and it has made me love tablets. Thats why Im thinking of upgrading to a more powerful tablet.

I like the iPad 3 mainly for its display and 1GB RAM. The negative points are that the battery takes too long to charge and that basically iOS is the same than on my iPad 1, and I would like a OS more powerful.

Android tablets are completely out of the equation since I dont like them al all.

Then theres the Windows 8 tablets coming this year. They look very interesting and would allow me to use programs such as Office, Vuze, iTunes, etc. What I dont know is price and whether they will be as cool and silent as the iPads. I saw a Samsung tablet with Windows 7 that cost 1200$ and got too hot.

Maybe the new tablets will get cheaper.

Already having iPad 1, what would you guys do?

Thanks.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
iPad 3. At least we know we are getting iOS 6 Beta 1 next month. I'm excited about the new features.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Keep in mind that Windows 8 tablets aren't expected until this fall at the earliest, and there's a lot of questions about what they will be like. You mention being able to run regular Windows desktop programs as an attractive feature, but Microsoft has been trying for years to sell people on tablet computers that do that, and it's never taken off, because the user experience hasn't been very good. I don't expect unmodified desktop programs to provide any better experience on Win 8 tablets, and any program that is "optimized" for the tablet may not be fully compatible with or have the full features of the desktop version. That said, Microsoft might surprise me, but still Win 8 tablets are an unknown quality arriving at an unspecifed date.

iPad 3 is here now, and we know exactly what it does. If you wait a few weeks, we will likely learn at WWDC what is coming with iOS 6.

It's really up to you if you want to wait until you know how Win 8 tablets actually perform, or go ahead and get the iPad 3 now. It all depends on what you want to do with a tablet and whether iPad 3 fills those needs.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Excited for features you don't know about yet ?

Anyways iPad 3. Apple > duh

Yes. Regardless of what the features will be, it'll be over 100 new features...as always. I, welcome and anticipate, anything Apple plans to give us to enhance the iOS experience. I'm anxious to see what iOS 6 brings next month. And, that's why I'm excited.

hreyhrey

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
its gana suck since considering in a few days the jailbreak for ipad3 is out... it will be hard to not upgrade though if they include the new maps damnit

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
I dont see a point in waiting because we don't know how successful the Windows 8 tablets are going to be and what apps will be developed for the platform.

iPad on the other hand is already a success.

I'm looking forward to Windows 8 tablets but it'll be some time before it matures and develops its own market, even after its release.

As for Windows 7 tablets, forget it. It's like putting a square peg in a round hole, the operating system isn't even designed for touch navigation, its designed for desktop/laptop computers with a keyboard and mouse.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
There will be two versions of Windows 8 tablets, ones running on Intel processors and ones running on ARM processors. I expect the Intel versions to run like normal laptops (i.e., fans, heat sinks, etc.). They will therefore be thicker than iPads.

The ARM versions will be interesting. Hopefully we'll see Windows 8 tablets in iPad-like form factors. But the problem is that the ARM versions won't necessarily be able to run all the apps that the Intel versions can. I'm not an expert on this, but I think that means you wouldn't be able to run desktop versions of, say, Photoshop or iTunes on it unless ARM-specific versions were released.

So I'd say just get the iPad. Given Microsoft's history with tablets, I'd wait and see how things develop before jumping in. And who knows what iOS 6 will bring

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
Enjoy the iPad today along with hundreds of thousands of Apps along with Audio books, pod casts, and just about every type of media imagable.

Windows 8 isn't today, and even if it was by the weekend, it will never have the infrastructure the iPad does Right Now.

Don't misunderstand, when they are available as a tech junkie I'll probably buy one, just to see what all the buzz is about.

But I can say that because I am using my iPad today.

VFC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
SE PA.
The hybrid Windows 8 tablets is what I'm waiting to see. They will have the tablet touch interface and the foldout keyboard/track pad interface for legacy MS applications. Form factor will be the size of the current 13'' Air.

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2008
If you've got a spare PC, $30, and some elbow grease, you can answer this question yourself. Install Windows 8 Consumer Preview on the PC, buy the remote control app called "Win8 Metro Testbed" from Splashtop for your iPad, and use it to connect to the Windows 8 PC for the best of both worlds. I've done it and confirmed that Windows 8 tablets, as best as can be approximated at this point, will be no match for the iPad 2 in my hands.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I think there is going to be a lot of sticker shock when these Windows 8 tablets come out. Just sayin'.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
My suggestion would be to get the iPad 3 now, and maybe next year, or two years from now, re-evaluate the Windows tablets after they've matured.

Think about it: Windows Mobile is still fairly new and not yet mature, and the tablets on Windows 8 are a whole new avenue that Microsoft hasn't really tried before with much success. It's better to give them time to shake out the bugs before diving headlong into it, especially when a stable, proven mobile experience exists now and you already have apps and accessories for it.

Quite frankly, Windows 8 could take off, or, it could fizzle badly. Leave that risk to the guys interested in being on the bleeding edge (and if you're using an iPad 1, that's definitely not you).

Windows 8 might also not be any more "powerful" than iPad or Android tablets. Tablets are basically lightweight systems, because of their inherent design. It's not a technology thing: we've already seen "full featured" tablet computers running full versions of windows, and they've never taken off. Microsoft might be prepping themselves for the death of the PC, but that's just not reality. A desktop/laptop is going to still be needed for "real" work. A tablet isn't going to replace that anytime soon, if ever.

If anything, the experience I've had with Windows 8 on a desktop is, they're trying to dumb down the windows interface to fit the tablet mode. The interface seems like maybe it would be useful on touch devices to do things simply... but it feels restrictive and limiting on a desktop.

By the way: there's also rumors that MS Office will appear soon on iPad/Android tablets. And we're definitely going to see some new stuff with iOS 6. Right now is not the time to be committing to changing mobile platforms.

Last edited:

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
If you've got a spare PC, $30, and some elbow grease, you can answer this question yourself. Install Windows 8 Consumer Preview on the PC, buy the remote control app called "Win8 Metro Testbed" from Splashtop for your iPad, and use it to connect to the Windows 8 PC for the best of both worlds. I've done it and confirmed that Windows 8 tablets, as best as can be approximated at this point, will be no match for the iPad 2 in my hands.

This is good to know. I thought the price for that app outrageous considering it's for the beta win8. Thank you for testing it out for cheapskates like me...haha! +1

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
My suggestion would be to get the iPad 3 now, and maybe next year, or two years from now, re-evaluate the Windows tablets after they've matured.

Think about it: Windows Mobile is still fairly new and not yet mature, and the tablets on Windows 8 are a whole new avenue that Microsoft hasn't really tried before with much success. It's better to give them time to shake out the bugs before diving headlong into it, especially when a stable, proven mobile experience exists now and you already have apps and accessories for it.

Quite frankly, Windows 8 could take off, or, it could fizzle badly. Leave that risk to the guys interested in being on the bleeding edge (and if you're using an iPad 1, that's definitely not you).

Windows 8 might also not be any more "powerful" than iPad or Android tablets. Tablets are basically lightweight systems, because of their inherent design. It's not a technology thing: we've already seen "full featured" tablet computers running full versions of windows, and they've never taken off. Microsoft might be prepping themselves for the death of the PC, but that's just not reality. A desktop/laptop is going to still be needed for "real" work. A tablet isn't going to replace that anytime soon, if ever.

If anything, the experience I've had with Windows 8 on a desktop is, they're trying to dumb down the windows interface to fit the tablet mode. The interface seems like maybe it would be useful on touch devices to do things simply... but it feels restrictive and limiting on a desktop.

By the way: there's also rumors that MS Office will appear soon on iPad/Android tablets. And we're definitely going to see some new stuff with iOS 6. Right now is not the time to be committing to changing mobile platforms.

I'll do you one better--I think that people are going to be disappointed in form factor and price. To do what MS wants these tablets to do, you're going to need fans, large power sources, power guzzling processors, etc. If you want an iPad type MS tablet, you'd be looking for more like a strictly Metro interface, and that seems to be a concession that MS doesn't want to make. They are trying to have the best of both worlds on a tablet.

I do agree with what someone else said--the hybrid laptops may be where it's at for Windows 8. But I think a lot of people are forgetting a very key factor in all this--Windows 8's main UI is a huge departure from Windows 7, Vista, and even XP. Yes, it is just Windows 7 at its core, but users are going to be forced into Metro a lot more than they think they are. (Try the consumer preview if you don't believe me). I don't think Joe User is going to appreciate this too much. I know I didn't.

Windows 8 is actually pretty beautifully designed once you figure out how to use it. But the average user isn't going to figure it out. The very act of figuring out the UI is not intuitive. It's not like you just automatically know what to do. I had to go searching around on the internet to find out how to get things done when I needed to. Haven't booted into Windows 8 since the week the preview came out.

----------

Good point...I still can't get over the fact that I paid only $349 for my refurb iPad 2...and now they're even cheaper!

I saw a quote from Dell yesterday already warning that their business tablets are going to be very pricey.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
iPad 3. At least we know we are getting iOS 6 Beta 1 next month. I'm excited about the new features.

what new features???

----------

I'll do you one better--I think that people are going to be disappointed in form factor and price. To do what MS wants these tablets to do, you're going to need fans, large power sources, power guzzling processors, etc. If you want an iPad type MS tablet, you'd be looking for more like a strictly Metro interface, and that seems to be a concession that MS doesn't want to make. They are trying to have the best of both worlds on a tablet.

I do agree with what someone else said--the hybrid laptops may be where it's at for Windows 8. But I think a lot of people are forgetting a very key factor in all this--Windows 8's main UI is a huge departure from Windows 7, Vista, and even XP. Yes, it is just Windows 7 at its core, but users are going to be forced into Metro a lot more than they think they are. (Try the consumer preview if you don't believe me). I don't think Joe User is going to appreciate this too much. I know I didn't.

Windows 8 is actually pretty beautifully designed once you figure out how to use it. But the average user isn't going to figure it out. The very act of figuring out the UI is not intuitive. It's not like you just automatically know what to do. I had to go searching around on the internet to find out how to get things done when I needed to. Haven't booted into Windows 8 since the week the preview came out.

----------

I saw a quote from Dell yesterday already warning that their business tablets are going to be very pricey.

i think metro is just fine, its just we havent been running that UI since 07 like iOS. once people get used to it they will know how to use it. it seemed different, but it wasnt hard for me to read and learn what the tiles did. I dont think microsoft will release a big clunky tablet with a loud fan.. I mean they have been trying that with tablets already and it has failed. surelllly they wont try that again? From what i understand the tablets will just be the metro interface? i may be wrong. It wont need as much as power and resources as a PC.

well see when they arrive. Good thing is since its windows we will have a choice on what tablet we want and not have to buy a flashy expensive dell one.

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2008
I dont think microsoft will release a big clunky tablet with a loud fan..
What was the last computer Microsoft released? ;)

Not trying to be glib...seriously, I think this gets to the heart of the argument of Apple being a hw and sw company to control the entire end-user experience. Not to say they are the only ones who can do it...I think a company like HTC has been reasonably successful with their Touch Sense interface or whatever it was called. But Microsoft has always been about selling as many licenses of Windows as possible, and they think they can achieve that by loosening the entrance criteria so everyone can come to the party.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I have every intention of considering a Windows 8 Tablet if the reviews are good for the OS. I do like the Metro UI. But as others have said, Windows 8 is really an unknown and is going thru some tweaking.

At least you know what the iPad is capable of and hopefully iOS 6 adds a bunch of goodies. I'd go with an iPad right now and if money permits get a Windows 8 Tablet if they turn out to be nice later this year.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
What was the last computer Microsoft released? ;)

Not trying to be glib...seriously, I think this gets to the heart of the argument of Apple being a hw and sw company to control the entire end-user experience. Not to say they are the only ones who can do it...I think a company like HTC has been reasonably successful with their Touch Sense interface or whatever it was called. But Microsoft has always been about selling as many licenses of Windows as possible, and they think they can achieve that by loosening the entrance criteria so everyone can come to the party.

i agree thats what Apples pros are for having total control of their software and what hardware it can be installed on after you purchase it, but personally id rather have a more open environment software. Even if i have to look at different manufactures to find the right computer for my needs. It does suck that there is so many crappy windows machines, but not all are.

----------

Read up. I explained what I meant by that. ;)

lol my point is you say it so matter of fact. just like the 100s of features you know it will have. I am too excited for what ios6 MIGHT bring.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.