iPad 3 overheating

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by hikarie, Dec 2, 2013.

1. hikarie macrumors newbie

I searched this up but all I could find were oists from the release when people were worried about this thing overheating.

Recently my ipad has been overheating with no apps open. It would get hot and then the battery would drain in a couple of hours. I have been using it over an year with no problems until now.

Luckily I do have a squaretrade warranty on it but before I file a claim, I wanted to check if anyone knows of a solution?

Thanks

2. pat park macrumors 6502a

I would try a restore as new to eliminate the possibility of a software issue causing the overheating, battery drain. Back up before you restore.
    iPad 3's were known to run hot. Mine certainly did and was always a concern for me.

3. Capt T macrumors 6502a

Also double check you brightness. If you have it at full, that would cause the battery to drain quicker.

4. diane143 macrumors 6502a

Did you resolve this? Mine started acting up in April or so, probably 4-6 weeks after AppleCare ran out. I tried to refresh the battery (drain and recharge) to no avail. It's gotten to the point that I charge it almost every day instead of every week or 2

Today I brought it and my 4s to the Apple Store. They replaced the battery on the phone but said the iPad was fine. They suggested doing a wipe and restore, which I did today.

I've been using it for 90 mins and I'm down to 70% (web and email only). All other apps are closed. And it's still hot

I am still running the last iOS 6. Not thrilled by 7. I would risk an update on the iPad if I thought it would help but I don't think that's the issue.