iPad 3 owner...Applecare+ iPad 4 Replacement?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nowstime, Oct 23, 2012.

1. nowstime macrumors regular

I'm pretty happy with my iPad 3 but it's truly is a bummer that Apple already introduced its replacement so soon...I normally sell the previous generation to help me fund the new model...but I wasn't prepared for this...

Back to my question...

I have Applecare+ and wondering will Apple replace my iPad 3 with an iPad 4 when I take advantage of my two replacement opportunities ($49 deductible each time). I pretty sure not now since they have refurbished models selling online and might have plenty inventory as of now but how about next year?

Anybody had experience getting an upgraded replacement? I read Apple does it with Macbooks sometime if the model customer has is discontinued.

Thanks in advance...

2. AR15MBP macrumors regular

While we don't know for sure, probably not as this would be different to every other product Apple has done. The only time they have "upgraded" to the next generation was sometime this year when there was a shortage of iPhone 4s and they replaced faulty ones with iPhone 4Ss.

I think we are out of luck.

3. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

4. Vizin, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  5. nowstime thread starter macrumors regular

I'm hoping maybe next year around this time, there will be no iPad 3rd gens refurbished models so I can get a iPad 4...

I was tempted to sale the iPad 3 for the iPad mini but it might be better to hold on to it since the value has already hit rock bottom.

6. AFDoc, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012

AFDoc macrumors 68030

Nope, you will get a replacement of an i3. Only way they would bump you up is if they run out of iP3 refurbs but that won't happen for a long time.

I did go swap out my 16g 3gs on OOW replacement as they stopped selling the 3gs and my only option was to pay the $149 for a 16g i4 OOW replacement because he said they didn't have any 3gs replacements. Went up on ebay and sold it for $350. Great deal considering a 4gig i4 goes for $450. I guess the only difference is you get the warranty with the "new" one but 3rd party service is available so the guy made out well. I have a used 32g i4 on that's currently going for $262.99, hoping it goes higher.