iPad iPad 3 owners: how does iOS 7.1.1 compare performance wise to iOS 6?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by RebornProphet, May 5, 2014.

1. RebornProphet Suspended

I've looked up a couple of videos on YouTube regarding this but it's tough to gauge real world performance from low quality clips.

Basically my wife has had my old iPad 3 for almost a year after I upgraded to the iPad 4. She has remained on iOS 6 because she's worried that the iPad 3 "can't handle" iOS 7 and that her smooth iPad performance will be taken away by iOS 7.

Can iPad 3 owners who have upgraded from iOS 6 to iOS 7 to iOS 7.1.1 possibly give me some performance indications? Do the stock apps load slower? Are the animations/transitions choppy? Is there lag going into multi-tasking?

Those kind of things.

Her iPad runs great on iOS 6 but she's becoming frustrated at the amount of apps and updates which now require iOS 7, not to mention she can no longer use FaceTime due to the recent constrictions on iOS 6 devices capable of running iOS 7.

Much appreciated guys.

2. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I found it ran a bit slower initially, but with the latest updates it's definitely much more like iOS 6.

Personally I'd recommend that she updates it - the performance loss is negligible.

3. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Speed wise it seems about the same, however it isn't as smooth. App openings and multitasking can stutter and scrolling can lag.

But I don't regret upgrading. However, I won't upgrade to iOS 8 even if available.

4. marceladevivo macrumors newbie

I can't stand it...

It's much slower and clunky...feels like every update makes things worse.

5. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

6. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

Not slower. About the same. I'm happy I upgraded.

7. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

Not appreciably slower. I do have to hard reboot it every once in a while. Also, the battery life isn't as good, but I do have the Motion background on.

8. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

Some benchmarks showed iOS 6 is still faster. Can't be bothered to look it up though.

However iOS 7.1.1 is alot faster than iOS 7.0.x which made the iPad 3 lag all time. Apple needs to seriously optimise iOS.

9. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I did a clean install and mine runs about as well under iOS 7 as it did under iOS 6. There is some very minor stuttering during *some* transitions and animations but it doesn't interfere with the function of my iPad. YMMV.

10. RebornProphet thread starter Suspended

Thanks a lot folks, appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I let my wife read this thread and she's decided to sit it out on iOS 6 for now. I am hoping to upgrade to the next revision of the iPad Air so in that case my iPad 4 will become her iPad 4 ...

Until then she's going to stick to iOS 6.

11. *~Kim~* macrumors 6502

I have an iPad 3 on 7.1.1, it seems to run very smoothly with hardly any lag. It seems to be luck of the draw as far as the 3rd gen on iOS7 goes.

I only updated as the file downloaded itself and was robbing a massive amount of the space (16GB version.)

I don't want iOS 8 - How would one stop the autodownload?

12. Rodster macrumors 68040

The automatic download only begins if you have the device plugged in and either Wifi or Data turned on. If no to the above it will only update if you tell it too. I don't believe Apple is currently implementing automatic updates like Amazon.

Also it's 50/50 whether the iPad 3 will get iOS 8.

13. $M.H$ macrumors member

In ios 7 slow & some times lag
    But she have to upgrade because the apps are no longer updating for ios 6 or older OS'S just for ios 7

14. merrickdrfc macrumors 6502

You can now delete the update installers from Settings/Usage as far as I'm aware, not having enough space for the installer to start with will obviously also prevent it downloading.

15. DaCurmudgen macrumors regular

I guess I'm not picky enough, but my iPad 3 with iOS 7.1.1 works great and doesn't pose any problems. If I was to be really anal, I am sure I see milliseconds of jitteriness, but I think that could also be psychosomatic based on months of reading these boards and looking for a problem. I do have the motion settings turned off because I don't like them, so if having ALL aspects of a new iOS running is important to your wife, then it might be a disappointment.

From my perspective, using iOS 7 to take advantage of Facetime or newer apps outweighs any perceived performance problems based on my experience with iOS 6 or the comments on this board. My wife, son, and I use the iPad for web browsing, ordering food on Fresh Direct, watching NetFlix, playing games, reading magazine/books, and the occasional music session with Garageband or Loopy (I say occasional because I ended up getting an rMini to use personally for that purpose since we were all vying to use the iPad 3). Everything works great and we're all happy with it. If you use your iPad for more processor-intensive stuff then maybe iOS 7 isn't worth it, but then again, is an iPad 3 really enough for that kind of use?

16. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I believe that deleting the download file is possible only on the previous version of iOS 7, which unless you had it on, you can't get anymore. Anyone still on iOS 5 and 6 still do not have the ability to delete the download file.

17. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

My mom's iPad has the newest version of iOS7 on it. I can say that the iOS 7.0 was a disaster - stuff crashed all the time, and as the family tech support, I would get calls all the time w/ her complaining about it - with the most recent version, it's close to on-par with iOS6 performance.