iPad 3 owners - why would you upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ZBoater, Oct 26, 2012.

1. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

It's twice as fast. Got it. What exactly do you do today that you'll be doing twice as fast when you do it on the iPad 4? I'm curious...

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I'm not really sure what users would want from it except maybe certain intensive games which could benefit from the faster CPU. I have an iPad [3] but have no intention of buying the [4].

3. SunnyStudioNeo macrumors regular

A5X has been replaced with A6X, and as you said, twice as faster. I wouldn't upgrade my iPad 3 now, but would like an iPad mini.

4. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I'd guess the benefit would be best realized if you did some serious gaming otherwise the difference in day to day use wouldn't be very noticeable.

The only reason I may upgrade is if my mom wants to upgrade her iPad 1 and would probably take my 3rd gen. She'd probably prefer to use the old dock connector as all of her other devices still use it and she'd see no real benefit to the extra processing power.

5. ZBoater thread starter macrumors G3

ZBoater

Which game??? They all run on both...

----------

That's why I ask. Is there a retina only or A6X only game I missed the memo on? :confused:

6. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

iMovie editing?

7. ZBoater thread starter macrumors G3

ZBoater

Good one. One would expect a performance boost there, although i can still edit them on the ipad 2 albeit slower. Keep 'em coming. :)

8. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

I tried to edit an 1 hour clip on my iPad 3 and it kept on crashing lol...

9. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

My only reason for considering a new ipad of any sort is that my ipad 3 only has WiFi. I want Verizon 4G LTE & I'd like at least 32GB

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Maybe, I just don't know really since I don't play many games anymore. Sorry.

11. Bokes macrumors 6502

And IMO that there lies the problem.
    The iPad is not a good tool for editing HD video.
    Get a MacBook Pro.
    Heck even a Mac Air is better than an iPad.

Tablets are great for media consumption.
    Viewing media, reading books, magazines, web pages, etc.

12. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Exactly... that... so I still can't figure out the point of 2x the speed on an iPad... I ended up encoded the moving on my last generation Macbook Air... it was painful, so I bought a fully loaded Retina Macbook Pro - which I should have waited and pick up the iMac instead.

Started this thread...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1477015

lol... that's how I have been feeling since the keynote.

13. JS3 macrumors regular

Connector. I like to have the same connector on my phone and ipad. lol. I know that is very small reason.

14. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Wouldn't, no reason to. I have yet to see anything that this new iPad can do that mine can't.

15. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

They all run on both but apparently many not as well on the iPad 3 due to the intensive graphical requirements of the high res display.

Check out this thread discussing the differences for Nova 3 on the iPad 2 vs. iPad 3.

I'd think that the extra CPU (and GPU?) horsepower might help improve this situation.

16. Liquinn Suspended

17. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Minor conveniences like sharing the same cable with iPhone5, 4g-ready (for countries previously left in the cold), and better rendering of images in apps like goodreader (really lagged bad at times).

Not that I intend to update, but if you sold your ipad earlier, the actual cost would actually e quite small.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'll be the first to admit that confused by this iPad 3 and iPad 4 talk. All I see is a retina iPad with an upgraded processor - does it matter if people use the numeral 3 or 4 with it :confused:

Are there any other updates with the new retina iPad

19. Rgladman macrumors regular

So I can pass my iPad 3 on to my son who then pass on his iPad 1 to his daughter.

Keep the family up to date somewhat. :)

20. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

I still have an original 32GB iPad 2 and even I'm not considering the upgrade.

The retina display would be nice for me yes, but I'd rather wait for the next iPad which will obviously share the same physical design as the iPad Mini & iPhone 5 with the chamfered edge and slate black back.

Their release of the iPad 4 would be unusual at any other time, they have done this just to get rid of the 30 Pin connector and that is painfully obvious to everyone. The only people who should buy this iPad in my honest opinion are people who don't already have one or have an iPad 1. If you own an iPad 2 or 3 you'd be better off waiting for the next full redesign of the product.

21. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

I am not going to make any excuses. I could say it is the faster processor but must admit that the 3 is no snail. I could also say it will be more convenient to have all my toys on the new USB connector.

In the end, the truth is that I want the latest and greatest which, I think has to do with Western human nature. No shame to tell the truth. :rolleyes:

It will also make someone very happy when they get my 64gb AT&T iPad 3!!!

Who else is getting the 4 just because they want it?

22. ZBoater thread starter macrumors G3

ZBoater

You sir win a gold star. This is a good reason I use all the time... :D

23. Liquinn Suspended

I'm getting the iPad 4 to upgrade from my sluggish iPad 1 and because I want it. :)

24. KandyKane macrumors 6502

4G, in Australia.
    I sell my old one so the new one isn't too much out of pocket anyway.

25. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

You better be getting ready for a BIG boost! You are going to love it for sure.

Sluggish will o longer be in your vocabulary!