iPad 3 ... PenTile screen ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by OSMac, Feb 29, 2012.

1. OSMac macrumors 65816

Do you think Apple insisted on a non pentile screen or is that held for the iPad 4?

Does it matter?

2. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

It's not that Apple will have insisted on non-pentile, it's that they'll have insisted on using and LCD display. Apple doesn't seem to be interested on AMOLED displays. They'll keep using LCD, thus, no Pentile.

3. OSMac thread starter macrumors 65816

4. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Not at this time, I'd tend to think. While the end user won't notice it, that's a big decision from Apple's part and since we're not aware of anything, a Pentile screen would surprise us all.

5. pmau macrumors 65816

Don't think so

Pentile screens were invented because of the lifetime issues with AMOLED.

I really doubt that Apple will switch to AMOLED since their IPS LCD panels are amazingly good and I don't think they want to risk manufacturing and quality issues.

I prefer good IPS panels over any "WOW!" effect AMOLED display junkies.

AMOLED has a long way to go. Multi-colored backlit LCD's are the next big thing, because they will give you even better color temperature for the backlights.

6. OSMac, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012

OSMac thread starter macrumors 65816

I hope it's full RGB IPS LCD as well, I agree that's the best screen tech overall.

Apple may have accepted Pentile LCD on a cost / yield basis.

Consider sub pixels:
    iPad 1,2 RGB 1024x768x3= 2,359,296

iPad 3 PenT 2048x1536x2= 6,291,456

iPad 3 RGB 2048x1536x3= 9,437,184

The retina Pentile display already has 2.7 times the sub pixels of the current model and should look stunning.

To go full retina RGB the subpixel count nears 10M, might be too high to get a decent yield for a $499 device.

Also Apple likes having a upgrade path.

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Oh end users do, those droid's with pentile, have a greenish tint that many I know have commented on. They look... off.

Apple surely won't do that.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Oh Apple would do that should they wish to but I don't think we'll see it. I honestly don't understand the fascination with certain things when it comes to the iPad. Retina would be real nice now that I see how it is on my iPhone but frankly, I just want a device that runs well.

9. GearDriven macrumors newbie

Take a look at a Galaxy Nexus screen -- it is pentile too -- color management might not be perfect, but it definitely doesn't have the problems earlier pentile displays had.

10. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

Macrumors has already posted close up photos of what is probably the iPad 3's Retina display. It's a bit difficult to make out but it looks like there are 3 sub pixels for each pixel which would mean the display isn't Pentile.

11. OSMac, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012

OSMac thread starter macrumors 65816

I can't really see any RGB stripes in the retina pic.
    Might see a random green sub pixel pattern like a pentile screen would have?

I dont think Apple will let us know on the 7th either.
    I'm buying it either way but I am expecting a pentile.

Will be very impressed, if they do manage to offer
    an IPS RGB stripe LCD in the iPad 3 at the same price as the 2.

It would have over 5x the subpixels of the retina Touch/iPhone display,
    and 4x the subpixels of the current iPad.

12. Dubthedankest macrumors regular

The iPad 3 display will not be Pentile. It will be RGB stripe just like all other iOS devices.

They are simply doubling the pixels a la iPhone 4, for the exact same reasons - gorgeous hi-res display with little to no work required from developers to support the new display. Tell me how Pentile would work there.

Come on now.

13. OSMac thread starter macrumors 65816

They are not doubling the pixels they are quadrupling them.
    (Double horizontal x double vertical)

Pentile would work just like an IPS RGB stripe display.
    The display controller handles the pixel to pentile proccessing not the developers.

I hope everyone is right and that it is a RGB stripe display,
    but we have seen nothing solid to support that yet...

14. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Yes, yes, we all understand they're quadrupling the number of pixels :)

However, they're only doubling the number of pixels in each direction, which is why everyone uses that term instead.

That's why Apple also just says they use "pixel doubling" to display old apps.

15. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

I did say it was difficult to make out :) It looks to me that there are definite groupings of subpixels and there are places where there are red subpixels in groups that are next to each other both horizontally and vertically. I wouldn't expect to see this on a Pentile display. If it was Pentile I would have expected a checkboard pattern of subpixels and for red pixels to only ever be diagonally next to each other.

For anyone interested, the following blog has a comparison of RGB stripe, RGBG Pentile and RGBW layouts.

http://expiance.com/blog/2011/05/13/rgbw-pentile-sub-pixels-and-graininess-of-mobile-displays/

As to whether the screen will be IPS or not I don't know. I think that having a wide viewing angle is very important for tablets because they aren't used in a relatively fixed position like desktop and laptop screens. In the first two iPads Apple used an IPS screen to achieve this and the iPhone 4 proves that IPS screens can work at high PPIs so I don't think it's unlikely for the iPad 3.

16. lilo777 macrumors 603

PenTile is orthogonal to AMOLED. It could be used on AMOLED or LCD screens (and it is). Apple would not be able to get AMOLED screens even if it wanted to. Samsung is the sole manufacturer of those panels.

----------

PenTile would not require any work from developers. You are mixing up logical pixels with physical ones (sub-pixels). As i understand, it's all handled by OS (hardware drivers?). So if Apple did switch to PentTile (which they probably won't) the logical resolution would double (in each dimension) while the amount of subpixels would increase less than that.

17. GekkePrutser, Mar 5, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2012

GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

iFixit has better photos... It's still difficult to make out individual pixels but I think I can see the R-G-B stripes horizontally (not interrupted by green pixels), so it looks to me like it's not pentile.

I won't buy the iPad 3 if it is pentile. Even before I knew what it was and how it worked, the 'jagged edges' of icons were obvious to me. At the time I thought it was a side-effect of the shape of the pixels of OLED technology but now I know better of course. It could indeed be used on LCD as well.

I just hate the grainy look of it. In my opinion it's just a cheap trick for manufacturers to skimp on subpixel counts and still claim the same pixel resolution. I don't think Apple would go for something like that. Not with Steve Jobs's obsessions about quality (And I'm sure he's still been deeply involved in the design stage of the iPad 3). They'll leave that to the Chinese knockoffs :) Apple is about 'best', not about 'good enough'.

18. DenisAuermann macrumors regular

DenisAuermann

haha

PenTile screen is a poor man's retina display

19. SporkLover macrumors 6502

I really hope not. My last pentile screen experience was sub par, and I'm not a stinky finder.

The phone was a Photon 4g (atrix), and it had a respectable pixel density (275) and high resolution on a small form factor...... But in most instances I could see the tell-tale signs of a pentile screen, and it was distracting. When reading some text lost clarity the edge of the text was right next to or on the edge of one of the pentile grids.