iPad 3 pixels

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mark28, Jul 19, 2012.

1. mark28 macrumors 68000

If I put the iPad 3 near my eyes, I can see very tiny pixels? I thought with the retina display you shouldn't be able to distinguish the pixels? ( assuming that I don't have superhuman eyes )

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Ugh...

The idea is that you don't see pixels when holding the iPad at normal viewing distances.

3. Star56 macrumors member

:eek: Idiot!

4. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

So u use the iPad while looking really close at it? Interesting

5. dancj macrumors 6502

Yes, but even that doesn't completely work.

For properly smoothed fonts or for photos I can't see the pixels even if I go up close. If I play 3d games without anti-aliasing on the other hand I can see the jagged quite clearly even at arms length.

6. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Gee, not another one of these. Yes, the display has pixels, and if you press your eyeball to the display, you will see them. The term "retina display" doesn't denote the absence of pixels, it denotes the display crossing the threshold whereby, at normal viewing distance, the human retina cannot distinguish the individual pixels.

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

But do those games use retina-optimized graphics?

On my 4s I can see jaggies on games made for the old resolution phones.

8. jman240 macrumors 6502a

Jaggies do not equal pixels. Read up on what anti aliasing is...

9. dancj macrumors 6502

Yeah. I'm talking about games like Modern Combat 3 and Asphalt 6

----------

I'm fully aware of what pixels, jaggies and anti-aliasing are.

Jaggies are when you can see the pixel sized steps in graphics with little or no anti-aliasing. If you can see jaggies then you can see the size of the pixels.

I'm not sure what your point is.

10. doboy macrumors 68000

11. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Modern Combat 3 and Asphalt 6 Adrenaline do not run at full res. In fact, none of the immersive 3D games do. Infinity Blade Dungeons was supposed to be the first immersive 3D game to do so, but that's been delayed for 3 months now.

Here are screens of Asphalt 7 and Real Racing 2. As you can see, RR2 looks much better than A7. You can also see that the jaggies in the Asphalt 7 screenshot are much larger than the size of the individual pixels.

Asphalt 7: Heat
    [​IMG]
    Real Racing 2
    [​IMG]

12. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

Galaxy on Fire 2 HD has the option to run at 2048×1536, and aliasing is still very prominent there. Aliasing simply reveals that you can still perceive pixel-level details even with the iPad at Apple's idea 15ʺ viewing distance. If the game was perfectly anti-aliased, it would be much harder to discern, but still possible.

We really need at least 2× the iPad 3 density before pixels start to become imperceptible.

13. dancj macrumors 6502

I'm not sure what makes you think that. Modern Combat 3 and Asphalt 6 do run at full resolution - as does Real Racing 2 - and I can see the jaggies in that too.

Some games like Infinity Blade 2 and Asphalt 7 run at a halfway resolution at which the jaggies are even more noticeable.

14. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

I didn't say those games looked perfect, nothing does. Games like RR2 and IB2 can look perfect at arm's length but, like I said, if you press your eyeball to the glass, you'll see pixels and jaggies. Yes, MC3 has the option to run at full res, but without powerful anti aliasing even hi-res 3d models will have jaggies.

Now, I was not aware of Asphalt 6 running at full res as I haven't played it in a while [screen below] it sure looks good, though not perfect.

Attached Files:

15. marcusj0015 macrumors 65816

Lol, I love that interesting part, it makes you seem like a scientist holding a clipboard writing stuff down lmfao.

16. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

I have such horrible retinas, basically everything is pixel-free for me, even with my nose touching the screen of the iPad 2.

17. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Here's another shocker for you. If you shove a newspaper beneath your eyelid, you'll see the printed dots of ink! :eek:

18. dancj macrumors 6502

It has jaggies because you can see the pixels. Even at arms length.

I'm not complaining though. I can only see the pixels when things are relatively still. It still looks great.

19. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

I'm not entirely sure how a normal human would be able to distinguish those pixels at arm's length without using a magnifying glass or binoculars, but I'll take your word for it.

20. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

hehe

21. dancj macrumors 6502

What can I say. I've got poor hearing, poor balance, mediocre strength, mediocre reactions, poor hand-eye coordination and a lousy sense of smell.

My eyesight is great though.