iPad 3 Profit Margin?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by appleguy123, Feb 24, 2012.

1. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Last year Apple added:
    Dual Core processor
    New Design
    Smart cover magnets
    Cameras

None of these things(beside R&D with the A5) seem like very expensive parts.

This year:
    Retina Display(The cost of this must be huge. AFAIK no such screen is currently shipping in any product.)
    Quad Core or improved dual core A6( I dont see how this won't be at least as expensive as the A5)
    Massively improved graphics(implied by the retina display)
    Significantly better cameras
    4G LTE likely
    Double capacity? (big IF, but with huge apps made for the display, it would seem user friendly.)

If Apple retains the $499 price point for the iPad 3, what do you predict their margins will be? Do you think they'll cut cost in some other obvious way(The iPhone 3G had the dock sold separately).

I get that Apple has a lot of buying power, but this seems excessive. What are your thoughts?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Who cares? iFixit or someone else will do a teardown and cost estimate of the parts soon after it comes out.

3. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

People who like to speculate. In other words, the people who visit the iPad forum a week before the iPad 3 is announced.

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

Contact Buildbright, this should be no problem for him since he is an "Electronics Tech."

5. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

Dude get a life or maybe a girlfriend.

6. doboy macrumors 68000

Are you concerned about your investment in AAPL stock?:) I have a feeling that low end iPad 3 might not get a "retina" display since margins are tighter on the 16GB model compared to 32/64GB.

7. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

If the iPad 3 display rumored is real, its cost is around three times the current iPad 2 display cost.
    SSDs are cheaper now though. Also we don't know if the A5X will be the next iPad's CPU (and GPU), so it's impossible to make an estimation.

8. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I think that this is pretty unlikely. Apple's done well because the iPad isn't like a PC where you have to ask yourself if you want to pay more for this or that. The iPad is made for the masses.

When I go around and tell people about the iPad 3's screen, they don't really get it.

Androids are about pay x for this cool feature, Apple's about simplicity.

Plus it would really shock competitor's when Apple announces such a thing for $499. It might even be worth the temporary margin hit just to shock competitors out of the market.

9. jamswirl macrumors regular

I reckon they'll make up some of the cost in shipping. The iPad packaging could be half the size, so they could ship twice as many per container...

10. brand macrumors 601

brand

How do you figure that?

11. jamswirl macrumors regular

Whoops, forgot about the wall charger. Then again, if they removed it (not likely), the packaging could be much thinner.

12. doboy macrumors 68000

Don't think they need to "shock" the competition since they are already doing well against the competition when competition already uses slightly higher resolution than the current iPad. Also iPad is one of the lowest margin devices that Apple sells and they hate to take a hit on margins.

13. Awfisch macrumors member

Awfisch

With over $100 Billion in the bank, who cares if they have to lower their profit margin some?
    I sure don't have a problem with it. With Apple controlling more and more of the market, it will put them in the position of getting the lowest prices. So if they have to lower their margins for one generation of the iPad, it would be worth it to maintain market domination.
    By next year, with the iPad 4, the prices for everything should be even cheaper, so they can get back their ludicrously high profit margin.

14. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

As a side note, an increased pricing point would make sense.
    R&D for the display and CPU/GPU have probably been expensive.

If the rumored increased price is reality, Apple could have been forced to raise it, probably holding an even lower profit per product.

The other option is, Apple knows its fanboys. And knows they'll just do everything to buy the new device.
    This too, makes a lot of sense.

15. poloponies macrumors 68030

"Ludicrously high" or not, Apple doesn't operate a charity. They've established pricing strategies that they, and more importantly, the financial markets, can live with. They can't really decide to take a quarter off and give stuff away just because they have a stockpile of cash. The market expects them to maintain sales and profits quarter-by-quarter, so they have to follow those expectations.

16. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

The current rumor is that all iPad 3 models will carry an $80 premium over the current pricing model.

Assuming what we think we know is true (retina, A5x/A6, larger battery, better cameras, etc), I don't think $80 is too much to ask for all of that.

17. doboy macrumors 68000

Sure, consumers don't have a problem, but shareholders will.:)

18. maclook macrumors 65816

It's not THAT crazy but why would Apple continue to sell the iPad 2 at the same prices? No decrease in price at all. That's crazy and why I don't think that rumor is viable.

19. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

I hadn't seen it suggested anywhere that iPad 2s would continue to be sold at the current price points and didn't mean to insinuate it if I did. I agree that doing so wouldn't make any sense. If anything, iPad 2 will simply become the lower cost option (maybe drop the price by $100 going forward).

20. maclook macrumors 65816

I was referring to the chart which shows the iPad 2 price staying the same. But now that I look at it again, it may just be showing the iPad 2 price for comparison. I don't know, can't read it.

[​IMG]

21. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Got it. I think we can safely assume it is just showing iPad 2 prices for comparison.

22. Awfisch macrumors member

Awfisch

It wouldn't be taking a quarter off. It would be a move to keep their hold on the market. If they raised the price of the iPad even for one generation, it would be harmful on sales, giving way to more of the cheaper android options. While I don't think that they would lose their dominance, I do think that a price increase could hurt sales. As I said before, the more control that they have on the market, Apple is able to get the cheapest prices for hardware. So I think that if they need to lower their profit margin for one generation, then it is worth it in the long run to remain profitable. Increase in demand and competition will drive prices down not up.

So when March 7th rolls around, I fully expect to see the same prices even with all the new hardware.

23. doboy macrumors 68000

As a consumer I hope they would keep the prices comparable to the iPad 2. I think Apple would maintain their dominance by lowering the entry point with $350-399 iPad 2(s). Remember Asus also raised their prices by $100 with the Prime model so it is more costly to add better CPU/GPU and display.

24. Benaiah528 macrumors newbie

32GB base model

I think a 32gb base model could explain/excuse the possible price hike. A $579 base model iPad would help offset loss of profit and it would actually lower the cost for the consumer of the current 32gb option by $20.

25. Benaiah528 macrumors newbie

translation

The characters translations are as you probably assumed. It reads in english from left to right...

Apple iPad #?, iPad 2 American dollar price, iPad 3 American price, iPad 3 RMB converted price.