Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LotusLord

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
My wife is taking online classes and so far at least one course per term has had an ebook rather than a traditional paper text. The issue is that it's a bit difficult to read the text on the iPad 2 screen, or there is a lot of zooming in. She and I have no issues with the power of the 2, just the screen. So I'm wondering if it makes sense to pick up a refurb 3 or if I should go ahead and get the 4 (or see if she can wait until the 5).

What does everyone think? I like the idea of the 3 since it's cheaper, but I also don't want to be too stuck behind the times.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
My wife is taking online classes and so far at least one course per term has had an ebook rather than a traditional paper text. The issue is that it's a bit difficult to read the text on the iPad 2 screen, or there is a lot of zooming in. She and I have no issues with the power of the 2, just the screen. So I'm wondering if it makes sense to pick up a refurb 3 or if I should go ahead and get the 4 (or see if she can wait until the 5).

What does everyone think? I like the idea of the 3 since it's cheaper, but I also don't want to be too stuck behind the times.

I'd get the 4 if you can spare the extra money. It is newer and will be updated longer to new iOS versions. But if money is an issue, then get the 3.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
I skipped the iPad 3 and got the 4, and I love it. Since Apple just came out with a 128 GB version of the iPad 4, I seriously doubt that the iPad 5 will come out in March; otherwise, they would have waited for the 5 before adding a 128 GB version. Still, if waiting an extra month or two doesn't bother you, you might as well wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.