Ipad 3 Retina Display compared to Ipad2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by harleymhs, Mar 16, 2012.

1. harleymhs macrumors 6502

Ok, I bought 2 today... Ipad 2 and Ipad 3.. Both ATT .. side by side there isnt a BIG difference in the displays! The 3 has a little better color saturation but not night and day difference! Does anyone else agree? Not sure if the weight difference is worth the Ipad 3 ... 21 oz compared to 23 oz.. Anyone else feel the same about the NEW Screen?

2. kds786 macrumors regular

kds786

Spend some more time with it. I think there is a difference. Even just browsing the internet, it is clearer and better.

3. sUGArDawg macrumors regular

sUGArDawg

You must be legally blind.

4. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

2 ounces? Really?

Just return it and use the iPad 2. Seriously.

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

depends on what youre doing on it. Some apps dont take retina into account.

6. DS3 macrumors 6502a

Well the difference is all in resolution, so if you set them side by side and view from feet away of course its going to be tough to tell a difference.

Load an identical (high res) photo on both, pick out a detail like an eye and examine it on both screens. To me the detail/crispness of the retina screen is a big upgrade. It is objectively a much better display

But if you are a person who doesn't particularly care about resolution (and thats okay... not sure why you'd rush out and buy a iPad 3 then though) then the 3 isn't that important an upgrade. I love it though.

7. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

It didn't knock my sox off, there is a difference but you get used to that difference quickly....its nice but I'm not saying "wow!".

8. profets macrumors 68040

I agree.

If you can honestly not see a different when they're literally side by side then something is wrong with your vision.

9. Torq macrumors regular

If you cannot see a significant difference between the iPad 2 and 3 screens side-by-side on the same content ... then you need seriously to get your eyes checked.

Now, if you're looking at non-retina upgraded applications side by side then you won't see much difference. But if you open Safari and compare this site side-by-side on them then the text pixellation on the iPad 2 is quite obvious at normal viewing distances compared to the iPad 3.

The iPad 3 is almost exactly half-way between the weight of the original iPad and the iPad 2. Good thing you didn't have one of those!

10. falconeight Guest

falconeight

11. Adam-Jobs macrumors regular

Definately clearer. But not "amazing" but give it a chance. It's the apps that make the iPad worth while. So let's just wait for some good retina apps. For me right now, it's just like having my ipad2 all over again with a clearer screen to read on!

Edit: just removed the plastic off the front ;) yeah it's amazing.

12. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

13. Bossyman macrumors member

14. sfoalex macrumors 6502

Right now those that are not too impressed with the Retina display, you might just find you are very impressed when you use it for a while, then go back to a iPad 2. The human find tends to fill in the gaps for information that isn't there. It's a trick it plays on us. But once you get used to the sharper display, you'll see the difference once you try to switch back.

Try using an old CRT for example. It will look absolutely awful to you having got used to the clarity of LCD panels.

For me, even at a distance the text is so sharp. So crisp and clear. My Mac screen looks like a blurry mess to me now. Sure hope Apple brings Retina to the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro soon.

15. batotman macrumors 6502

Lolololol

Try putting some retina iPad wallpapers on it and comparing. I think it's a pretty big difference. But do find it annoying that quite a few websites now appear pixelated.

16. Macclone macrumors 6502

I noticed it the most when I opened PDF files in iBooks. As I paged through it rendered them from iPad text to amazing iPad text. Watching it happen really shows the difference. It is a fraction of a second, but definitely noticeable.

17. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

Absolutely a big difference. I agree with the others you must be blind.

18. PerfectCr macrumors regular

19. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

I've been reading on my iPad 3 for the past 3 straight hours with zero eye fatigue. I could read for maybe an hour on my iPad 2 before I had to stop.

20. davedvdy, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012

davedvdy macrumors regular

Massive difference. The single gripe you have about the display not being different, is the thing I find to be the most impressive about this new iPad.

21. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

I see a HUGE difference between them. The Retina has a much wider viewing angle, way more deeply saturated colors, better contrast and the resolution! Wow, that resolution! I'm a semi pro photographer and my images look simply breathtaking on the new iPad. Better even than on my two Cinema Displays, and that's really saying something.

22. batotman macrumors 6502

My 24" 1080p monitors look blurry in comparison. 2 days ago I thought they were crystal clear. :(

23. Mansu944 macrumors regular

I hate to be a jerk, but if people post they can't see the difference they should be ignored so these posts get buried. (And here I am responding).

24. frank4, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012

frank4 macrumors regular

frank4

I had a look at the iPad 3 in a store today and was very impressed with the display sharpness, I'd say it's well worth the relatively small extra cost of $100 assuming a person is choosing between the 16 gb iPad 2 and 3.

However as my iPad 2 now has a reduced resale value as a used item I'm not sure if it's worth it for me to upgrade. Considering local taxes (not in USA) a base iPad 3 would cost me about $585 and I could get about $300 for my iPad 2, so about $300 cost for me to upgrade. I might be better off to keep the ipad 2 and save that $300 for other Apple goodies to be bought later this year.

Apple or somebody else should make it possible to lease an iPad or iPhone, for people who want to always have the latest version. It's a pain trying to sell your old equipment.