iPad 3 Retina/Performance Impact

Discussion in 'iPad' started by w00t951, Aug 19, 2011.

1. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

So, assuming the iPad 3 has the A6 processor, how much of a performance boost do you think we can expect with the new Retina display that's been all over the Front Page?

I mean, the iPad 2 managed a damn good increase in game performance with the same resolution display as the iPad 1. I'm hoping performance won't be impacted in games with the addition of a doubled pixel density.

2. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

I'm going to put myself out there, and make a bold prediction here.

The iPad 3 will perform as smooth as a baby's bum when it is released.

It will be able to do everything the iPad 2 can do, just aswell, if not better than the iPad 2 can do it.

On top of that it will be able to do things that the iPad 2 can't do.

Regardless of screen resolution.

Over the last 5 years+ Apple hasn't released anything that would make me think otherwise.

3. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

With some notable (but rare) exceptions, the most recent being the "you're holding it wrong" iPhone fiasco, Apple is very good at not introducing products that sacrifice performance and functionality just to enable new features. If a retina display cannot be engineered to provide the same level of performance as the current generation iPad, it most likely won't be included. Reports suggest that the introduction of the iPad 3 may have already been delayed precisely for that reason.

For the most part Apple doesn't "do" cutting edge technology. Their (sound) reasoning is that most consumers don't care about having the most advanced technology. They care about consistency, not speed (within limits) and they care about having a satisfying user experience. If a retina display hurts battery life or makes some apps run more slowly than others, Apple will likely delay its introduction until the rest of the technology "package" can catch up.

4. JeepGuy macrumors regular

Most of the iPad games are very simple, in regards to frame rate, some like real racing hd, will have more of a challenge, or anything with rendered 3d graphics. I see lags when I play one of the 3d pinball games, where it will actully freeze for a split second. It will really come down to if the next iPad gets more memory, with a higher clock rate, and an improved graphics processor. It's still a lot of pixels to push around, 4x the current iPad.

5. dtlee1974 macrumors regular

Prediction: Bitmap based content will be at the higher res on the new Retina display but 3d will have the option of dropping to 1024x768 for performance reasons. That can be done easily with hardware pixel doubling. I'm very skeptical that they're going to be able to pack a 3d chip into an iPad that will drive full 3d at 2048x1536 at anything approaching an acceptable framerate.

However, static content like webpages, ebooks, non-3d apps and sprite based games are going to look gorgeous. 3d games will probably look about like they do now (which is pretty good already.)

6. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Agreed. If it a game can't push the full resolution, it will just resort to the "standard" ipad resolution. This is much like running games on your desktop at less than full resolution of your monitor. Frankly, I have a hard time believing that a tablet could handle 3d based games at a resolution that high. it's hard enough for desktops with multiple video cards to push that resolution. In the end though, it will work wonders for iBook, web pages, pictures, etc. Gaming will just resort to the lower res.