iPad 3 - Safari keeps freezing and crashing

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Nyromith, May 14, 2013.

1. Nyromith macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I have an iPad 3 that I bought on July last year, and it worked very well until iOS 6.0 (or a later update, I can't remember for sure) came out. Since then browsing is a nightmare. Safari constantly keeps freezing, and crashing a lot. The freeze usually lasts for something like 10-15 seconds, but sometimes I have to kill it, open it, kill it again, and open a second time to make it work again. The crashes are less frequent, and when I open Safari again the tabs are restored.

Someone who hates Apple told me it's a dirty trick to force me to buy a new iPad, but I hope it's not true. I also have a late 2012 Mac Mini (the weakest one), and Safari works great on it.

One of the most problematic sites is IGN, which freeze the whole browser (not just the active tab) when I click on a new article. But many other sites are also causing it.

I made a factory reset, but it didn't help.

So what do you think? Is it normal, or a software/hardware problem?

2. DMH3006 macrumors regular

Its not.

By factory reset you mean you restored correct? have you tried clearing the cached data on safari and the history log and cookies? It is not normal.

3. Nyromith thread starter macrumors newbie

The reset I did:
    Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings

When I turned the device on after that it showed me the welcome screen, just as a brand new iPad. But the OS was still version 6, so there is no downgrading from here.

I'll try to remove cache and cookies again, but I'm afraid it's something different. Maybe the update was bugged and the OS didn't update well?