iPad 3 Screen Brightness?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bradsnw, Mar 20, 2012.

1. bradsnw macrumors newbie

Am I crazy, or is the screen brightness on the iPad 3 much lower as compared to both the iPad 1 & 2? I quickly sold my iPad 2 so I cant compare the two side by side. But I feel like I have my brightness up to 90%+ right now and it feels / looks comparable to my iPad 2 at about 50%. I've seen posting on this on the Apple site, just nothing direct here.

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Looks to be about the same/a little brighter than my old 1.

3. econoar macrumors regular

This is very noticeable on mine. The most frustrating part is my girlfriend got hers at the same time and her screen gets much brighter than mine. I've given my screen a couple of days but I'll be returning it soon for a replacement.

I'd understand if overall all the screens weren't as bright. But to see one next to it that's brighter leads me to believe mine isn't right.

4. Jessemtz25 macrumors regular

Jessemtz25

I feel like mine is easily as bright as my iPad 2. I can compare them when I get home tonight. I keep mine at about 40% brightness and it works great.

5. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

Both of my iPad 3s aren't as bright as my iPad 2, but it's not a deal-breaker. it also seems like the way the actual brightness ramps up as a function of the brightness setting isn't as linear as it was for the iPad 2 because my iPad 3 gets searingly bright at max brightness...just like my iPad 2 did.

6. aka777 macrumors 6502a

7. CVC macrumors member

What I am noticing is that the auto brightness is much more aggressive than on my iPad one. During the day with the screen set to 50% it's quite bright. At night, in a room lit with a couple of lamps the screen dims so much I am barely able to read and I'm not able to look at pictures. In a totally dark room the screen dims so much I can't even read. I find myself adjusting the screen brightness manually all the time, something I never had to do before.

Maybe this is something they will fix in a future software update.

8. aka777 macrumors 6502a

I actually think this works well, as I would always have to adjust the screen brightness on most devices at night.

9. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I think it is equally bright but it ADJUSTS much lower than the iPad2. I really like it because sometimes I want it dimmer in a dark room or if I have a headache. The auto-brightness does seem slightly buggy though so maybe this is part of the problem people are experiencing.