iPad 3 Screen Issue after 8 Months...Help!

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by 28Gauge, Dec 23, 2012.

1. 28Gauge macrumors 6502

28Gauge

I have an iPad 3 that I have had since it's launch. I happy to say that it has been problem free until now. This morning, I noticed some sort of screen issue that has popped up. It is most noticeable on dark screen images or solid white ones. If you put pressure on it with your finger, you can spread it around on most of the screen. Is this a lamination issue or something else? Any ideas on how to get this fixed?

[​IMG]

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

I hate to tell you this but it looks like the glue has separated from the case and has allowed moisture to settle underneth the glass.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 which suffers from a similar problem. It's commonly referred to as "newton's rings". It appears as like oil laying on top of water. If you touch the glass the defect will move. A temporary fix for newton's rings is to put the tablet in the refrigerator for 45 minutes and they go away. Apparently it has something to do with the tablet getting warm and the glass slightly lifts.

I would call Apple and get it replaced if it's under warranty. Also this ISN'T a common problem for the iPad.

3. 28Gauge thread starter macrumors 6502

28Gauge

Thanks for your help. "Newton's rings" sounds like the issue. I have an appointment with my local Apple Store tomorrow to see about getting it replaced.

4. 28Gauge thread starter macrumors 6502

28Gauge

A few more questions. The lady at Apple support said that they would most likely replace my iPad based on my description of the problem. I have an appointment at the Apple store tomorrow for them to look at it. If the store goes along with the replacement, do they give me another iPad 3 (refurb) or will they replace it with an iPad 4 (long shot, IMO). Do the Apple stores keep refurbished iPad 3's on hand just for replacement purposes or will they just send mine off for repair?

5. nehope macrumors member

You will get a "brown box" iPad 3. The store will probably have these on hand. Couldn't tell you if those are refurbed or just new ones specifically used to replace in warranty units. I recently had to replace my iPad 3 due to a smashed screen - first brown box replacement came with iOS 5 but had a bad screen. Second one came with iOS 6.0.1 so was obviously newer.