Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you see the 'ghost' bars above the red bars?

• iPad 3: Yes, the top grey bar is not a solid colour

Votes: 43 86.0%
  • iPad 3: No, the grey bar is a solid colour.

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • iPad 1/2: Yes

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • iPad 1/2: No

Votes: 4 8.0%

• Total voters

sammich

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Not sure if this is prevalent on other screens, but I just noticed it while I had the Mobile Safari debug bar up.

Not sure what this problem is called, but if you open this page and make sure your iPad in portrait. You should be seeing darker grey areas directly above the red bars. Tap anywhere to toggle the red bars.

I've tried taking a photo but all I get is what I think is a rainbow effect from the polarising filter from the LCD. But I can see the effect on the live view on the camera so it's not just my eyes.

Anyway, this is a call to iPad (3) owners, since the one iPad 2 I've tried it on doesn't exhibit this effect.

Please post your results.

Last edited:

BrennerM

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
I do see the darker gray "echoes" in portrait mode, and not in landscape. They are fairly subtle though and almost look like an optical illusion but of course they disappear when the red bars are not there.

This is on an iPad 3.

On my iPad 1, the gray is solid in both orientations.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
I see them on my iPad 3 but not with my iPad 2. Very interesting. I also put the 1 and 2 side by side. The red on the iPad 2 was really orange compared to the 3.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Last edited:

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Are we sure that grey bar isn't transparent?

If you look at it on a desktop/laptop screen, you do not see the leakage. Also, if you rotate the iPad to landscape mode, the bleed disappears as well. IF the grey bar was transparent, then you would be able to see it regardless of which device/screen/screen orientation you used.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
I can see a very slight effect. Even then, my eyes get saturated with the red and it becomes more difficult to see.

Most likely I would never have noticed the effect, unless I started an optical illusion site ;)

EarlZ

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2012
I now understand what you mean, I also see that "ghost" effect on the Galaxy Note and Tab7.7 Im not sure what is causing it.. must be signal cross talk?

I almost always notice that on the Tab7.7 when I bring up the settings menu while Im web browsing a site.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
It's almost subtle enough that you wouldn't know it was there unless you were looking for it. Those photos I took are basically as close to what I was seeing as possible from a camera - that's how mild the bleedthrough is. But I think that's a function of the red bars themselves moreso than how the iPad screen was designed. As EarlZ pointed out, you can see this on other devices as well.

astral125

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2011
I find it is easiest to see and rule out illusions if you place an opaque object like part of a blanket over the screen except the gray area. Then you can tap the gray area to toggle the red bars on and off even though you can no longer see them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.