iPad 3 Sim card LTE

Discussion in 'iPad' started by reclusive46, Mar 9, 2012.

1. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Do the old AT&T iPad sim cards support LTE? Or will I have to get a new one?

2. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I know the new iPad is a micro-sim size, but I'm curious about this myself. Last year when iPad 2 came out, all I did was swap sims and sell my original iPad with the brand new sim.

I'm planning to do that again, but I wonder if there would be a reason not to?

3. reclusive46 thread starter macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Yeah because I'm not sure if they have to be LTE provisioned like sim cards had to be for 3G.

4. reclusive46 thread starter macrumors 65816

reclusive46

5. underwater macrumors member

Use the SIMM that comes with the iPad3

I believe the ATT LTE SIMM (that comes with your iPad3) is required for LTE service. You can swap SIMMs with your iPad2, but you will only get 3G service. You iPad will say "4G" but will still be 3G. Only if the iPad says "LTE" do you have LTE service.

Apple/ATT make it easy to transfer your iPad data service. Just fire up the iPad3, restore your old iPad data using iTunes, then open a browser and it will prompt you to xfer your data service. The data plans will say "LTE".

After I xfered my data plan to the iPad3, my iPad said "LTE" and a speedtest shows 10-18 Mbps up and down with only 2 bars of signal strength. Nice!

6. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

After some reading, that's the consensus as well. I'll keep the sim that comes with iPad 3 and just sell the iPad 2 with the old sim.

Now if Fedex would just show up already. *rabblerabble*

7. underwater macrumors member

LTE iPad3 SpeedTest Screenshot

When you get it setup, it will look like this: ;)
    [​IMG]

8. kevink2 macrumors 6502a

I put my old SIM in the iPad 3. I couldn't view my account, but data worked. However, I see updates here about using the new SIM and selecting the plan. Once I entered the email/password, it knew when my existing plan expired and allowed me to choose the same plan (unlimited).

9. ttate90303 macrumors regular

Yep, followed the steps to transfer from my old SIM account to the new SIM account using the new iPad LTE SIM. All is well.