iPad 3 Sluggish with some games?

M Powered

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Whats everyones experience so far with the performance with the new iPad3 for gaming?

I tried playing Galaxy on fire HD (Updated to support the new iPad3) and the performance is sluggish, like unplayable unless I lower the graphics. Real Racing 2 seem to be butter smooth, but the performance on GOF was shocking :eek: Almost made me loose faith on the long term performance of the iPad3.

Anyone else play any other games? whats performance like for you guys? and what game?

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Whats everyones experience so far with the performance with the new iPad3 for gaming?

I tried playing Galaxy on fire HD (Updated to support the new iPad3) and the performance is sluggish, like unplayable unless I lower the graphics. Real Racing 2 seem to be butter smooth, but the performance on GOF was shocking :eek: Almost made me loose faith on the long term performance of the iPad3.

Anyone else play any other games? whats performance like for you guys? and what game?
I'm playing GOF2 and it's silky smooth...

erawsd

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2011

I've been playing Mass Effect and It's running great, though I wouldn't say it's any better than on my iPad 2. I don't think we'll see iPad 3's advantage until devs start making games that use the additional graphic cores. The old games that are being updated are pretty much just adding support for the new resolution, they aren't even adding new high Rez textures.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
I've been playing Mass Effect and It's running great, though I wouldn't say it's any better than on my iPad 2. I don't think we'll see iPad 3's advantage until devs start making games that use the additional graphic cores. The old games that are being updated are pretty much just adding support for the new resolution, they aren't even adding new high Rez textures.
Yeah developers need to update textures. Some of the textures on real racing HD look like they came from an 8-bit system :p