iPad 3 - Suitability as main computer (Photo management on iPad)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by pilesofstones, Sep 4, 2012.

1. pilesofstones, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  2. aaagat111 macrumors regular

aaagat111

The iPad, and the iOS software it runs is not built for what you are describing. While there would probably be some way of getting the "system" you describe working on an iPad (word processing, file & photo management, etc), this is not using the device or your access to technology efficiently.

Make your life easy and get a computer running OS X to handle the management and app-heavy tasks, and use the iPad as much as you can to take care of the little things.

Obviously things like watching YouTube videos or going on Facebook are easy to do on an iPad but as soon as files, transferring images from a camera, or any of that comes into place I think you will quickly regret a decision to move solely to an iPad.

3. Mainsail macrumors 6502a

I have recently moved many of our photos to Flickr. It required purchasing a pro account, which is about $25 per year. It has been great for storage and sharing. You can painlessly upload from and download to the iPad, but if you want to upload a lot of files at once, you might want to use the Laptop. Once this is done, routine maintenance and updates are easy from the iPad. I use Flickrstackr.

An interesting thing about using Flickr was it kinda forced me to clean up our photo collection. We have about 5,000 photos, which is probably not that much compared to some people. Anyway, as I went through the ones I really wanted to keep on Flickr the number wilted to about 500. Basically, I could lose 90% of the photos that I had on local disk and would never miss them. There are lots of duplicates, crummy photos, bad resolution, people not looking at the camera etc.. My habit was to just download them all from my camera or phone to the family computer. Now, I selectively upload the best ones to Flickr so the grandparent and friends can see them. I just don't worry about the rest.

4. sers macrumors regular

Have you looked at a NAS like a Synology Disk Station? This is what I'm currently looking into doing.