iPad 3 - Theoretical Maximum Battery Life in 1 Charge?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Eadfrith, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Eadfrith, Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012

Eadfrith macrumors 6502

Eadfrith

What's the theoretical maximum battery charge you can get from one full charge on the iPad 3? Say if you had it just browsing the web, with bluetooth off, notifications/email off, any other battery draining features off and brightness wayyy down - say at 20% or even lower.

Apple states 10 hours, is that the theoretical maximum or could you get a little more than that?

2. RestUnknown macrumors regular

At night when browsing and watching videos with brightness at the lowest, I get a 10% loss every 1,5-2 hours so yeah you can get more. Even got a 7% loss over 2 hours last night, but the leap from 100% to 99% takes much longer then from lets say 70% to 69%...
    I guess the 10 hours is with normal brightness.

3. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

10 hours is with auto-brightness off, brightness exactly in the middle, Wi-Fi on, asking for Wi-Fi networks off.

4. Markdek macrumors member

10% loss every 2 hours would give you 20 hours of battery life; how did you manage that?

5. RestUnknown macrumors regular

No, the 2 hours per 10% is in the beginning (from 100 to 99 and so on).
    I haven't tried it from 100 to 0, I'm only on it for about 2 hours a day and I always recharge the next day, so it's not really a correct calculation.

I'll try to see how far I get. But 1,5 hours per 10% seems to be average with me. And as said, it's with the brightness at the lowest and browsing or videos.

6. RobesNo1 macrumors regular

In answer to your title the iPad consumes 541mah when in Airplane mode with brightness turned to the lowest setting and not in standby.

Given the 11666mah battery capacity of the iPad 3, that gives you roughly 21.5 hours of battery.

That being said this is with the iPad sat doing nothing, so if you wanted to stare at the screen for 21.5 hours then you could, but what would be the point.

7. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

It's tough to tell, it seems like sometimes 1% drain will take varied amounts of time doing the same action on the same brightness, you can't really accurately say it takes 30 minutes for 5% so multiple that by 20 and you'll get the answer.

8. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

The new iPad has an enormous battery, 70% larger than iPad 2. It's there for two reasons--LTE and more powerful graphics processing. Apple wants to be able to maintain the "10 hour" claim on the battery.

The reality is that on the WiFi only models, one of the big power draining components is gone entirely. If you're just web browsing, not gaming or doing anything super intensive, you're going to see an increase in battery life over the iPad 1 or 2.

Yes, driving the retina display does take some extra power, but not that much.

This is exactly how I use my iPad 90% of the time. It sees about 2 hours of use every day on WiFi, sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less. Automatic brightness adjustment is on, screen is set to just over 50%. I charge it once a week, and when I do, it's still usually got 15-20% left on the battery.

Usage varies from time to time but overall I'd say I'm easily getting 14 hours of use out of it between charges.

9. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

How did you find out the battery drain?

10. reppans macrumors member

I've test mine a half dozen times... I'm consistently using it about 7% per hour running 10hrs to 30%, and have run up to 12 hrs, but I don't like deep discharging < 15%.

Surfing on Wifi mode with all other radios/gps off, notification on, and brightness at 25% or less (0% surfing in bed).

Also, there's some simple good charging habits that you can use to greatly extend the cycle life and capacity of your Li-ion battery, if you do the research.

11. RobesNo1 macrumors regular

BatteryDetective in Cydia. Jailbreak required first of course.

12. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I average 12 hours that's with 50% brightness wifi on and email working away. 8-10 with 3G on