ipad 3 theory

Discussion in 'iPad' started by beast260, Mar 3, 2011.

1. beast260 macrumors member

During apples presentation , the declared 2011 the year of ipad 2. This kinda ruled out any possibilities of ipad 3 in september . however, apple holds their yearly ipod touch conference in september. Itd be a perfect place to introduce a 7 inch ipod touch . Also, with the smaller screen size, your then able to afford to keep the price relatively low

thoughts ?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I doubt it. That would just give developers yet another device to code for, and would cannibalize sales from both the iPod and iPad lines, rather than making its own market.

3. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

honestly, i don't see it happening. For all of you who are hoping and praying for the 7", best of luck. I have no desire for it. i like my 9.7 inch iPad.

The september release of the iPod Touch will bring technolongies from the june announcement of the iPhone 5. That's why story and i'm sticking to it.

4. beast260 thread starter macrumors member

personally, im getting the ipad now , im just saying that with all this talk of a launch of a 7inch ipad in september, it may just be a bigger ipod touch

5. Surely Guest

Surely

Although you seem to be claiming this as your theory, I have seen this theory on various sites since the iPad 2 announcement. It's a possibility.

I have read that it would be marketed towards gamers, and that it would be a larger iPod touch as opposed to a smaller iPad. One site said that a "fall surprise" is in the works.

6. class77 macrumors 6502a

class77

Steve already said there was going to be no 7 inch platforms. I'm going with him

7. beast260 thread starter macrumors member

never said its my theory, just saw that it hasnt been discussed that much on MR and wanted to see what people thought about it

8. beast260 thread starter macrumors member

he also said no tablets at one time

9. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Here's what I think could happen. In January, Apple updates to something like iPad 2 "GS" (10 months between updates). It would have a slightly up-clocked CPU and GPU (but nothing that would fragment the platform), and unify the radio chips to work on both AT&T and Verizon (simplifying inventory for Apple and making it better for consumers as well), and possibly have LTE capability built in (but not necessarily immediately usable). Plus probably Thunderbolt. Then September is set up as the new annual schedule for iPads, starting with the iPad 3.

10. G77 macrumors regular

My prediction:

We will see iPad 2 HD (retina, whatever) in september along iPod event (same as iPad 2 + retina display, maybe NFC). Apple will change for 2 major events for iOS devices - iPhone (june/july) and iPod/iPad (september). We will see iPad 3 in september 2012.

11. Justin Luck macrumors regular

That would be great, but I doubt apple wants iPad sales to compete with their iPod touch.

12. M87 macrumors 65816

Nah, the rumored iPad 3 is actually a touchscreen mac.

13. wesrk macrumors 6502a

how feasible is it to have a retina display in the ipad? isn't it too expensive to implement and keep price as it is? (assuming apple makes the same profit as they do now of course)

14. JulianL macrumors 65816

Yeah, but some of the speculation (e.g. Gruber) about a new iPad later this year was that it wouldn't be so much an iPad 3 (to supercede the iPad 2) as an iPad 2-Pro (something that lives alongside the iPad 2 lineup). This could address the concerns that some people (including myself) have about how much it would cost to produce a 9.7" retina display in a model to ship in 2011, Apple can just hike the price of the new model(s) accordingly and the retina display is probably so compelling for some people that they'd still buy it (within reason).

Put that all together and maybe they could announce a high-end version of the iPad 2 with a retina display in September at a noticable price premium to the iPad 2. The iPad 2 is already more expensive than the iPod Touch and, once you've added on the price premium for a retina display version, then I suspect that the price points would be sufficiently different to avoid any canibalisation of iPod Touch sales by a new iPad 2 Pro.

A year later Apple could then shift to a September launch cycle for the iPads and by that time they might be able to get the retina display costs down enough to get rid of the high end model (or replace that high-end price point with a model that has truely enormous onboard storage capacity) and put retina displays on all models.

What happens to the iPod Touch at that stage? Well, Apple are rumoured to be looking at a lower cost iPhone so maybe the Touch could be merged into that product line. If you want just iPod Touch functionality then get an iPhone Nano without a SIM card, possibly with a parental lock in the Restrictions section of Settings so that parents could disable the phone completely if required which could power down the phone circuitry to get battery life equivalent to the current iPod Touch. Additional parental settings could be made available to set it so that, if the phone is left enabled, it can only call out to a defined number and potentially only accept calls from defined numbers so it becomes entirely a parental emergency device. At that point it is also on the data network so a parent could use FindMyPhone to check where their kids are. That all becomes a very compelling gift for parents to give to fairly young kids and, if the price points can be achieved, then it also provides a music and games device for everyone else with properties (form factor and battery life) very similar to the existing iPod Touch.

- Julian

15. Shorties macrumors 6502a

The whole reason people thought there was going to be a retina display iPad was because of the high resolution textures found in iBooks, but those were most likely in preparation for the 1080p HDMI. I think that line "2011 the year of the iPad 2" was indeed their hint that there will be no iPad 3 this year.

As for the 7 inch iPod touch, I don't think they will create more fragmentation between iOS platforms just yet. Having played with the OSX 10.7 Lion beta, it seems like everything in the operating system is being primed to be touch screen friendly. I could see them replacing the Macbook Air with some sort of Macpad when they launch 10.7 Lion later this year, but this is pure speculation.

16. 2 Owls macrumors regular

17. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

But he was talking about a Mac OS X tablet, not a tablet that wasn't even a market category yet.

18. tomandshell macrumors regular

I remember when he showed the "Digging in the wrong place" clip from Raiders and explained that Apple wouldn't be adding video to the iPod. Dude changes his mind a lot--and we follow him, bringing our wallets along for the ride.

19. ajax43 macrumors regular

And, just remember, last year at this time there were rumblings of a possible Verizon iphone 4, and yet the naysayers nayed, and berated those who insisted that, yes, there will be a Verizone iphone 4. IMPOSSIBLE! the naysayers bleated....how'd THAT turn out???:D

20. WLS, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011

WLS macrumors 65816

I don't know why that 7 inch size keeps being thrown out. It is too close to an iPad. Not gonna happen. That's too big for a Touch and too small for an iPad. If anything it is going to be 6 inches or less ( I remember 5.7 being suggested by one rumor). The reason is that with the aspect ratio of the Touch 6 inches diagonal is the maximum size to still fit in most men's pockets. I made a mockup to check that. If it is not pocketable then you might as well get an iPad.
    Also there is a limited amount that the screen can be stretched up before looking too pixelated.
    Other than that yes I think there is a lot that can be done with the Touch. The idea of having a 3G radio for location checking in it was very interesting but Apple seems determined to not move the touch into iPhone territory. That may change in the future.

21. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

you're crazy!

7" ipod touch? no way. Apple will not do that

think about it. iOS line starts from a 3.5 screen. and it jumps p to 9.7" screen. a 7" screen is basically useless. its not big its not small. it wont fit in your pocket. its not ultra portable. its like holding one of those old day harddrives(u know those HD that has a capacity of about 10gb and are big and fat?) except ultra thin and light

22. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think you may be taking "year of the iPad2" a bit to literally. Apple will role out the iPad3 when it make business sense to do so. If Motorola, HP, and Blackberry start to become a threat I wouldn't be surprised to see an iPad3 this year.

23. sammyman macrumors 6502a

Ditto that. I believe Apple will release the next iPad in September if they need to. Otherwise, if sales are strong they may just wait a full year. I think the next iPad will be amazing. HD cameras, retina display, possibly a screen to the edges like the rumored iPhone 5, more RAM and storage, and of course thunderbolt.

I am still buying the iPad 2. I will just sell it a month before the iPad 3 comes out :)

24. iMattcotv macrumors 6502

iMattcotv

He also said there would be no buttons on the iPod touch..

Obviously that changed..

So maybe Uncle Steve has that special ability, not many are capable of.. that is, the special ability, to change his mind??

:O

25. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I think that there will be some sort of refresh in September, but it will still be an iPad 2. Maybe a $50-$100 price drop across all models, different colored backs, available on T-Mobile and Sprint, or something else like that that doesn't really replace the iPad 2, but would ensure strong holiday sales.