iPad 3 vs iMac

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sird28, Jan 16, 2012.

1. sird28 macrumors member

Hello Everyone,

I am in a pickle right now, I currently have Apple TV 2, iPhone 4S, and iPad OG.

I am debating on getting the iPad 3 as retina display and being faster are all great things, I use it manly for mobility around the house, web browsing, streaming tv shows from my CPU to the iPad.

Now I have also been interested in iMac's and was thinking of replacing my 4-5 year old AMD Dual Core 8GB DDR2 System with an iMac. Now I would only be able to buy one IMO and the iMac would be a heavier investment. I do game on the PC but nothing overally heavy mostly League of Legends maybe the occasional MMO if I'm bored.

Anyone have macs, that love them, or should I just go with the new iPad and be happy? Is the OG Ipad going to be good enough?

Thanks!

2. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

iPad is a consumption device whereas iMac is a full-fledged desktop computer. Seeing that you already have an iPad, choice is obvious: iMac. Replacing your old computer is better than buying another gadget.

3. LeeM macrumors 6502a

Nothing to say for sure what the iPad 3 will be like, let alone a retina display

4. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I disagree. You can most definitely create on an iPad and if you're work load is light and not complex, an iPad can be a great simple computer.

However if you game, and you consider yourself a light gamer, I would say to consider an iMac and ditch the PC. It is a heavier investment but you'll get better performance on your games if thats something you still want to do.

5. Nice macrumors regular

Nice

I just want to say, that I laughed so hard after Ive read the title of the thread :D

6. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I think it's a rather legitimate question now. The things that my parents do on their iMac can all be done on an iPad.

7. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

The OP already has an iPad.

8. jacktorrance macrumors regular

It isn't legitimate until we know what the iPad 3's specifications will be.

To the OP - you already have an iPad - the new one may be quicker and have retina but the functionality, and how it fits into your lifestyle, can be assessed using your current version.

Do a bit of your own thinking.

9. redscull macrumors 6502a

redscull

If your current iPad isn't "good enough" to use exclusively in lieu of your PC, the iPad 3 isn't going to replace your PC either. It's just going to to do the things you currently use your iPad for, but better.

Whether or not you need a new PC/iMac depends on whether or not your current PC is able to do the things you are wanting to do with it. But keep in mind that without knowing your PC's specs, and exactly which iMac you're considering, you might inadvertantly downgrade* by getting an iMac.

*for gaming purposes
    My PC gaming machine is 3 years old now (video card is 1.5 years old), but because it's a tower with a "real" graphics card, it's still faster, for gaming, than several of the current iMac configurations.

10. wickerman1893 macrumors 6502

wickerman1893

Depends what you would use it for. Casual or hardcore. When I say hardcore I mean programming and media creation. The future is moving towards tablets though, if you get an iMac you may not see as many technical gains in future software than you might see in the iPad 3 and iOS.

11. B.A.T macrumors 6502a