Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kalt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
Holding my iPad 4 up right next to my iPad 3 (which I plan on selling), I notice the screens have a very slightly different hue. Not yellowing. And it's not like either screen is not right. It seems the iPad 3 has a tiny bit more blue hue to the screen. In comparison it seems the iPad 4 has a bit more ... red? Hard to describe. In the setup screen the gray looks more gray on the iPad 4.

But obviously I'm used to the iPad 3 as I've been using it for the past 6 months or so.

The iPad 4 doesn't look wrong. I can only tell the difference when I put them side by side.

Anyone else notice this? Did apple officially tweak the colors/hues on the iPad 4?

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
You will experience similar differences between 2 ipad 4s or 2 ipad 3s. It's just the nature of the variances in the manufacturing process.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
by the time the iPad 6 rolls around, they will have all of the colors of the rainbow covered

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
by the time the iPad 6 rolls around, they will have all of the colors of the rainbow covered

I went through a whole bunch of 3s before getting a good one. Trust me, they already have all the colors of the rainbow covered... ;)

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
I went through a whole bunch of 3s before getting a good one. Trust me, they already have all the colors of the rainbow covered... ;)

haha yeah.

luckily i only got pink once and some back light bleed - the 2nd one was perfect

kalt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
I'm not saying there's something wrong with mine, it's just slightly different than my iPad 3 was. I've sat there staring at them right next to each other with the same things on each screen (loading different things as well), even switching them around from left to right. Did it with the lights off so there would be no lighting influence.

After sitting there doing this for a good 45 minutes, going A-B and B-A back and forth, I think the iPad 4 has the better color saturation/hue (whatever you want to call it). My iPad 3 has too much blue. I never felt like it was wrong. And the difference is very slight but still noticeable when they're right next to each other.

So far everything on the iPad 4 has been running great. It's extremely fast, and I've compared the speed to the iPad 3 right next to it as well. No placebo effect. I was just surprised when I noticed the colors looked different after 6 months of getting used to the color profile of my iPad 3. It was different enough to notice.

S

syd430

OP - Just wondering, when you have both screens switched off/in sleep mode side by side does the ipad 4 have a slightly darker tint to the panel itself? (so the panel blends more with the black bezel, much like the ip 5). Very minor cosmetic detail obviously, but i really like the flush screen look of the black ip 5 when its asleep.

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
You will experience similar differences between 2 ipad 4s or 2 ipad 3s. It's just the nature of the variances in the manufacturing process.

@mcdj I dont believe you saying this :eek: Dont get me wrong, But I remember correctly you were the biggest critic about the screen uniformity of the iPad-3 screens when it came out back in March and it is music to my ears if a Biggest Critic like you of the screen quality of iDevices telliing this to others... I mean, It is quite astonishing ! :D Nothing personal though, hope you dont mind !! :)

----------

Holding my iPad 4 up right next to my iPad 3 (which I plan on selling), I notice the screens have a very slightly different hue. Not yellowing. And it's not like either screen is not right. It seems the iPad 3 has a tiny bit more blue hue to the screen. In comparison it seems the iPad 4 has a bit more ... red? Hard to describe. In the setup screen the gray looks more gray on the iPad 4.

But obviously I'm used to the iPad 3 as I've been using it for the past 6 months or so.

The iPad 4 doesn't look wrong. I can only tell the difference when I put them side by side.

Anyone else notice this? Did apple officially tweak the colors/hues on the iPad 4?

Here we go...I was just waiting for one of this to start lol !! :D

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
Holding my iPad 4 up right next to my iPad 3 (which I plan on selling), I notice the screens have a very slightly different hue. Not yellowing. And it's not like either screen is not right. It seems the iPad 3 has a tiny bit more blue hue to the screen. In comparison it seems the iPad 4 has a bit more ... red? Hard to describe. In the setup screen the gray looks more gray on the iPad

Yes noticed exactly the same.

Also when I set the brightness to min and used in a dark room the new one was more sensitive to viewing angle. A small tilt left/right or up/down and the brightness changes more so than on the 3 it seems?

Both differences are minor, don't think they will be an issue.

kalt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
Yes noticed exactly the same.

Also when I set the brightness to min and used in a dark room the new one was more sensitive to viewing angle. A small tilt left/right or up/down and the brightness changes more so than on the 3 it seems?

Both differences are minor, don't think they will be an issue.

Initially I was a little disturbed that the color/hue on the iPad 4 was different than on my iPad 3, because over the past 6 months i've gotten used to how the iPad 3 looks. But I've concluded after much comparison and holding them right next to each and comparing all sorts of apps and screens for hours that the iPad 4 has warmer, more vibrant colors. The ipad 3 has that overall blue/colder hue to it when compared to the ipad 4. I don't think that's proper.

I'm told Samsung made the iPad 3 screens and LG makes the ipad 4 screens. Not sure if that's accurate and I know from reading here that no two screens are exactly the same. After a few hours of using the iPad 4, however, I've concluded it's better. I'm already used to the difference at this point (it's very minor but when something like that changes after 6 months you notice it). I can only really notice the difference on bright screens.

I have not noticed any differences in viewing angle. I sat there comparing that as well, holding them both up one by one, both at the same time, at all different angles. However, I never set the brightness to min. I like my brightness about 1/4 inch down from max.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
Initially I was a little disturbed that the color/hue on the iPad 4 was different than on my iPad 3, because over the past 6 months i've gotten used to how the iPad 3 looks. But I've concluded after much comparison and holding them right next to each and comparing all sorts of apps and screens for hours that the iPad 4 has warmer, more vibrant colors. The ipad 3 has that overall blue/colder hue to it when compared to the ipad 4. I don't think that's proper.

I'm told Samsung made the iPad 3 screens and LG makes the ipad 4 screens. Not sure if that's accurate and I know from reading here that no two screens are exactly the same. After a few hours of using the iPad 4, however, I've concluded it's better. I'm already used to the difference at this point (it's very minor but when something like that changes after 6 months you notice it). I can only really notice the difference on bright screens.

I have not noticed any differences in viewing angle. I sat there comparing that as well, holding them both up one by one, both at the same time, at all different angles. However, I never set the brightness to min. I like my brightness about 1/4 inch down from max.

Try the brightness at min, in a completely dark room, my 4 seems to show uneven brightness if held at slightly off angles more so than the 3. Not a issue but just different. Like you I got very used to the 3...

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012

Why dont you post pictures of the difference you noticed between the iPad3 and iPad 4 screen display ! Let us see and then comment rather then just blindly say anything...

kalt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
Why dont you post pictures of the difference you noticed between the iPad3 and iPad 4 screen display ! Let us see and then comment rather then just blindly say anything...

Because I'm lazy. But more to the point, I wanted to see if anyone else noticed it. Taking a picture of my two ipads side by side doesn't prove anything... could be a one-off, that's why I was asking about others experiencing it. As people here like to say, "no two iPad screens are the same." I also don't know how to insert images, when i click "insert image" it only asks for a hyperlink. I used to have some website years ago where I could upload and host photos, but haven't used it in 5-6 years, don't even remember the name. I'm sure there are others I can sign up for, but i'm definitely too lazy to do that AND take the pictures AND upload them. It's not like I'm on steroids and crack... jeez :D

----------

Try the brightness at min, in a completely dark room, my 4 seems to show uneven brightness if held at slightly off angles more so than the 3. Not a issue but just different. Like you I got very used to the 3...

Just tried. Couldn't tell a difference between the viewing angles or any uneven brightness with the brightness turned all the way down. If there's any difference, I don't see it. I did it in a dark room sitting in the same exact chair for both. Who keeps their brightness turned all the way down anyway?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.