Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I can certainly see how the iPad 3 is good enough for many people, but I personally can't stand it. Apps and system animations that are butter-smooth on my iPhone 5 stutter like crazy on my iPad 3 (restored as new, iOS 7.0.4). As such, I'm probably going to give it to my mother and get the iPad Air. Some people just don't care about that kind of thing as much as I do, and if they don't mind the extra weight, the iPad 3 is fine.

That's why I stayed on iOS 5.1.1 and did not upgrade to iOS 7. My iPad 2 runs it ok but it sputters with some of the animations. Hopefully they'll refine things with iOS 7.1 and smooth out the experience like it was prior to iOS 7.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Well, from the iPad 2 the Air was a pretty big upgrade and I expect it would be from the iPad 3 as well. Way lighter, considerably faster, just a better overall experience. Of course if someone is happy with their third gen unit then stay with it.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Well, from the iPad 2 the Air was a pretty big upgrade and I expect it would be from the iPad 3 as well. Way lighter, considerably faster, just a better overall experience. Of course if someone is happy with their third gen unit then stay with it.

2 to Air you gain Retina.

Thats notable. 3 is already retina.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I went from iPad 3 to iPad Air and couldn't be happier. Why?

1) Lighter weight, smaller dimensions

2) Uses Lightning Cable like my iPhone 5S and iPad Mini

3) Available in larger capacity (128 GB) (iPad 3 was 64 GB)

4) Does not get excessively warm when I am using it (This was a problem with my iPad 3)

5) Definitely faster and smoother in operation than iPad 3

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
That's why I stayed on iOS 5.1.1 and did not upgrade to iOS 7. My iPad 2 runs it ok but it sputters with some of the animations. Hopefully they'll refine things with iOS 7.1 and smooth out the experience like it was prior to iOS 7.

I tried 7.1 beta 1 for a while, and it was certainly a bit better. Unfortunately, it seems as if the iPad 3 isn't powerful enough to both drive a retina display and run iOS 7. The iPad 2, though I haven't tried iOS 7.1 on it, should fare better.

nabwong

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2008
I never intended to upgrade but 2 weeks back, I need to use air drop. And the ipad 3 didn't support it. So I was in a pinch. The doesn't make sense if you don't need air drop. But once I had it, I appreciated how much lighter, smaller, faster it is. Not to mention more awesome batt life.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
iPad 3 user here since its launch day. Only thing keeping me from upgrading to the iPad 5 is the dreadful iOS 7.

Planning on permanently keeping iOS 6 on my iPad 3.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I tried 7.1 beta 1 for a while, and it was certainly a bit better. Unfortunately, it seems as if the iPad 3 isn't powerful enough to both drive a retina display and run iOS 7. The iPad 2, though I haven't tried iOS 7.1 on it, should fare better.

I'm thinking the same and it's why I did not install iOS 7 on my iPad 3.

----------

I never intended to upgrade but 2 weeks back, I need to use air drop. And the ipad 3 didn't support it. So I was in a pinch. The doesn't make sense if you don't need air drop. But once I had it, I appreciated how much lighter, smaller, faster it is. Not to mention more awesome batt life.

That would be a good reason for an upgrade.

----------

iPad 3 user here since its launch day. Only thing keeping me from upgrading to the iPad 5 is the dreadful iOS 7.

Planning on permanently keeping iOS 6 on my iPad 3.

I don't mind iOS 7 and there are parts of it I really like and are pretty slick but my iPad 3 runs great with iOS 5 and I know it won't be as smooth on 7.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
I don't mind iOS 7 and there are parts of it I really like and are pretty slick but my iPad 3 runs great with iOS 5 and I know it won't be as smooth on 7.

Envious of you. Wish I would have kept iOS 5 on my iPad 3 and iPhone 4S.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I upgraded from iPad 2 to iPad 3 for the retina display. Although the iPad Air is lighter I don't feel its worth upgrading just for slightly better performance. The leap in functionality is simply not big enough.

There is hardly anything you can do on an iPad Air that you can't do on the iPad 3.

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
Sorry for the slight thread hijack...I'm in the same situation...I have an iPad3 and just picked up a few iPads to think about:

1. 4th gen iPad w/ cellular 16Gb $349.00
2. iPad rMini 32Gb $470.00
3. iPad Air 32Gb $530.00

I have iPad3 cases and keyboard cases I can use with the 4th gen unit but its smaller than my 64Gb 3rd Gen iPad (w/ cellular)...

I'm considering the above 3 units so I can give my wife's 1st gen iPad to a relative and give my 3rd gen iPad to my wife but I'm torn on the fact that option 2 and 3 will require additional cases and option 1 is much smaller storage than I'm used to but the deal seemed like a really good price for a brand new unit...

What would you do with my "first world problem"n:eek:???

...when I realized that I actually got the 4th Gen iPad for only $330 I took back the rMini and the iPad Air the next day...the $200 I saved will go toward iPad Air2 or rMini2 if they have more than 1Gb of RAM (and hopefully an Izgo screen making them still lighter):D

superduperdom

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
Just sold my iPad 3 and got the air.Very happy.
The weight, size and speed improvements are worth it to me.
Bought it cheaper on amazon and the screen was fine.
Like others I find safari tabs reloading irksome, especially when posting.
And iOS 7, is a dog's dinner. Hopefully it will be improved, but what was Jonny Ive thinking?

Beachguy

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2011
Florida, USA
Count me among those who have a 3 and can't justify upgrading, though I'd love to. I hate the iOS 7 lag on it, but that will be corrected (I hope!)

Infinite Jest

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Harrisonburg, Va
I owned an air for a little over a month before returning it after a few replacements for various issues and have gone back to my 3. Functionally, there really isn't much difference. The form factor is of course nice on the new one, but nothing revolutionarily better over the previous generations. The hardware is much faster, but it's hard to see how much better with the current state of iOS 7. I was a bit disappointed having to go back to the older model, but after using the 3 again for a week, I'm not missing the air that much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.