iPad 3 vs Kindle reading expereince

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Rian Gray, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Rian Gray macrumors regular

Rian Gray

I am a big reader, almost finish two or three books every week. (maybe not that big)
    And that was why I ended up spending some money in buying Kindle, while I had iPad 1.
    Screen was way-too fuzzy for reading.

Now that I've bought iPad 3, I really want to hear some opinions about this.
    Would you use your iPad as a primary(or main) reading device?
    We have Kindle app for iPad, after all.
    (So there is no problem w/ compatibility)

And what about iBooks store? Would you buy books in iBooks instead of Amazon?

2. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

I have a kindle and the new iPad and while the new iPad is great for reading in dark environments the kindle will still be better than it for long reading sessions. As for iBooks vs Amazon's library, stick with Amazon. Their library is larger and it is easier to have all your purchases in the same place.

3. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

If they ever come out with a 7.85" iPad, I'd prefer that for reading. I would ditch the new iPad.

Apple should come out with an e-ink reader. I don't see that happening, though.

4. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

The iPad is my primary reading device and the retina screen makes the text so much crisper. With the iPad I can shop iBooks, B&N and Amazon. I feel it's the better deal since I can shop where ever I have the better price or where I have a deal on gift cards. Which is usually iTunes. I turn down the brightness, pic the color mode I like and just read.

I'd call myself a casual reader though. I read 2 leisure books a month in addition to my magazine subscriptions.

5. liquidlink macrumors member

I have a kindle and love reading on my kindle. I am not a big reader like you but I do read when I fly. I am home this week but next week I fly again and I am going to leave the kindle at home and see what reading will be like on the new iPad.

Looking forward to hearing what people have to say about this.

6. xraytech macrumors 68030

Which Kindle do you have.

7. jazzy639 macrumors member

I think the Kindle will still beat the iPad 3 hands down. No one wants to read a glowing page - the Kindle behaves more like a regular book - it's lit by the ambient lighting in the room. Less eye strain for long reading sessions with the Kindle.

8. mac jones macrumors 68040

Nothing is better than a Kindle for reading text only.

Graphics, on the other hand, are not so good (terrible?).

But I must ask: do you own the latest generation Kindle?

Because I don't see any question.

If you don't own the latest Kindle buy one.

May I recommend the smallest (non-keyboard) with ads. (the ads are nothing, if not pleasant)

9. Bubbakinns macrumors newbie

I have 2 Kindles, one that lives on my nightstand (the Kindle Touch) and one that goes with me EVERYWHERE (the Kindle Keyboard), those are and will always be my e-readers. I don't enjoy reading books on a backlit screen.

10. Muddypawz, Mar 18, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012

Muddypawz macrumors newbie

For reading, the Kindle is my device of choice, hands down! The paper-like texture of the screen doesn't cause eye strain like a backlit screen sometimes does. But the number one reason it beats the iPad for reading is the ability to read outdoors. There's no glare whatsoever with a Kindle. It's as if you're reading an actual book.

I'm thrilled with the iPad but would never give up my Kindle either.

*Edited to add that I have the original Kindle & the Kindle Keyboard.

11. Radio macrumors 68000

I have a kindle touch and played around with the kindle app on my new iPad.

Still noway I'd read from the iPad.

It just strains my eyes.

E-ink all the way for reading though I really find kindle OS clunky.

12. skytears13 macrumors newbie

I've only had my iPad (3rd gen) for a couple of days, but I suspect that I'll be going back to my Kindle (3) for extended reading - the Kindle is much lighter and I think I prefer using a physical button to turn pages. Plus, E-ink is a refreshing change from a computer screen... However I do like how much more responsive the iPad is compared to the Kindle (useful for dictionary definitions).

(I read a fair amount if I have time - probably average about a couple of books a week.)

Edit: oh and agree with Muddypawz about reading outdoors - and the glare/display would also be an issue with reading on trains/buses when seated next to a window...

13. Bubbakinns macrumors newbie

Also, the battery life on the Kindle is tremendous! Perfect for a week long camping trip and never having to worry about having to charge it.

14. skytears13 macrumors newbie

@Bubbakinns: ah, yes, battery life. :) The Kindle is fast becoming one of my few devices that doesn't need to be plugged in every night (only charge it when I get the "your battery is low" message, or if I know I'm going to be using it out of the house).

15. lique831 macrumors regular

When I first got an iPad back in 2010, I immediately sold my Kindle thinking I would just read all my books on the iPad. About five months later, I asked my husband for a Kindle again for my birthday. The backlit screen is too much for my eyes when reading for extended periods. Even though text looks great o. The new iPad, I will still continue to use my Kindle for extended reading sessions.

16. WilliamG macrumors G3

Couldn't agree more. With a Kindle touch and the iPad 3 at hand, I'll always pick the Kindle for reading on.

17. Rian Gray thread starter macrumors regular

Rian Gray

I have Kindle keyboard and touch.

18. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

I plan to use my iPad (just got my first) as my primary e-reader. I can't say yet about extended reading sessions, but am hopeful with the better display.

I think the tradeoff of not having e-ink will be worth it for much better pdf handling (based on reviews about the Kindle, and of course the small size as the DX is basically dead), and everything else the iPad can do better.

19. xraytech macrumors 68030

I that case, Kindle FTW for reading.

If you had a Kindle Fire, then I would have said iPad because of pixel density.

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

While I don't have an iPad, I do have a Kindle Keyboard. I would recommend a Kindle for several reasons:

1. Battery life - I usually go 3 weeks between charges on my Kindle.

2. More portable - I can take it with me more easily.

3. Less expensive - If something happens to it, it doesn't cost as much to replace.

4. E-ink screen - It is easier on my eyes.

5. Outside - Easy to read outside on a Kindle, not so easy on an iPad.

As to buying books from iBooks or Amazon, I would go with Amazon. Books purchased through iBooks can only be read on an iOS device. Books purchased on Amazon, however, can be read on PCs, Mac OSX devices, iOS devices, Android devices, Blackberry devices.

As always, YMMV.

21. kaibob macrumors regular

I use a Kindle (keyboard model) for reading. If I’m away from home without the Kindle, I use the Kindle app on my iPhone, although this is rare. I never use the ipad for reading.

22. chukronos macrumors 6502

I read all 3 hunger game books in 5 straight days on my wife's iPad 2. It was pleasant. I was surprised I didn't experience any eye strain. After reading a couple of hardcovers, I am now reading, "Cutting For Stone" on the iPad 3. I prefer the iBooks app to the nook or kindle apps. However, I imagine reading on the kindle would be nice since the battery lasts forever, and because of how light it is.

23. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Regular books - kindle
    Children's books, newspapers, magazines, pdf's, comics - iPad 3

24. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Looks like I am in the minority. While I will in no way downplay how nice E-ink is (my son has a Kindle), I read at least an hour a night on my iPad and do not notice any eye strain. I did that for two years on the first generation iPad and now will on the new iPad. I do notice that fonts are incredibly sharp and very pleasant on the new iPad.

But everyone's eyes are different - only you can decide what will work for you. If you have a Kindle, you can't go wrong reading on it. But I prefer the convenience of a single device.

25. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

Kindle e-ink > iPad > Kindle Fire

...except for books with a lot of illustrations or for which color is key. Then iPad comes out on top. But the display blows away the Fire on all counts.