Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
I have no problems with my 3rd Gen iPad and I don't suffer from "must have the latest" disorder.

However, I am in a financial position that if something is announced that I can't resist, I'll just sell the 3rd and get a new one.

I'm not sure why this is such a conundrum for people this time of year. If you need an iPad now, buy it. If you don't need it, then wait.

Pretty simple logic. Damn near borders on common sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

seclusion

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
I went from an iPad 1 I purchased used to and iPad 3 on its launch day.
Yes I stood in line.
I am running iOS 7 with some animation glitches that may just be the beta 3.
Otherwise I have no need to upgrade.
But I must admit, the 1 to 3 version was significant, wifey has the 4, I don't see a difference.
What I'd like to see?
Significant camera upgrade.
Less bezel
More battery time and quicker recharge
Likely see a processor upgrade
Likely lighter

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
I'm in the same boat with the iPad 3, 32gb White Wifi. Also in a good position to sell it "like-new." I cracked the screen and Apple replaced it with a new unit, not refurbished, still covered in new plastic. The AppleCare+ warranty is still good until March-April next year.

I bought the iPad 3 to replace the iPad 1, a nice upgrade. Though, I was worried about the cpu being the same as the iPad 2, if I recall, and how it had to drive a Retina display now. So right off the bat, its life expectancy to withstand iOS upgrades and advancement in software was much shorter.

Then again, you felt reasonably safe with Apple's track record of 1 year between updates. Then 6 months later the iPad 4 comes out with a nice boost in speed. Speed you wished the iPad 3 had to give headroom for the future.

When the iPad 5 comes out, I just hope it's thinner, lighter and faster. If one of those things is missing, then selling the iPad 3 might not have been a good idea. At that point, you might as well put the money towards a hopefully lower priced new iPad 4 or refurbished unit.

QUESTION:
What's the best way to sell an Apple product? Craigslist or eBay? Both have scams to avoid, but is one likely to go smoother with less chance of trouble? eBay's downsides are you could have issues after you ship it due to scams, plus eBay/PayPal double-dip fees that cut into profit. Craigslist's may get you more money, but you do have to meet someone in person.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I regret "upgrading" from an iPad 2 to iPad 3. The performance is pretty bad for an Apple product.

3D map flyover is laughable then of course you have the handicapped games because of its weak processing power.

adu3ymyj.jpg

I'm gonna get a 5 after seeing benchmarks and reviews. And if its nothing too amazing I'm gonna get a refurb 4 assuming there are some available.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
I have a 3 too, and I'm going to wait and see what the updates are before I decide. If its lighter I might upgrade...would really love more ram as well. Until Apple releases it we can't know if it will be worth it.

Thats the one thing about Apple that I hate. They never tell you whats in the works as far as hardware. I really wish they started making announcements on what they are working on even if they don't give a release date.

I'm sorry but this is just daft. Why on earth would any company, regardless of what they make, tell you what the next product will be months or even years away from when it's available? The only thing that can possibly do is hurt sales and isn't actually useful information anyway as there will *always* be something better coming along next.

As a non-tech example Ford are currently suffering in Europe as they released what is effectively the new Mondeo in the US back in 2012 but have delayed its release here until the end of 2014. The result is more than a few potential buyers going elsewhere because they know they'll be buying a car that is not only due for replacement but *should already have been replaced*. Good for customers, horrifically bad for Ford and a real shame as the existing model is a really good car in its own right.

Ultimately buy a product when that product does what you want it to do and you're happy with the compromises it makes. When it comes to tech it's relatively easy to make an educated guess as to what's coming next and when it'll be available so you've got an additional data point to use when making your decision.

Rshill

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2010
From my experience ios7 will be sluggish

I have been running ios7 on my iPad 3 for the past few weeks. It is slightly sluggish with the new OS. Similar (but not quite as bad) as when I had iOS 5 on the iPad 1. There is s small, but noticeable delay when pressing buttons on the keyboard, and other small things like this. While it certainly can be lived with, it is worth noting I am noticing a performance bottleneck. It's up to you, but personally, I am waiting for a retina iPad mini. I love the feel of that size of device. (Sorry steve..)

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
I have been running ios7 on my iPad 3 for the past few weeks. It is slightly sluggish with the new OS. Similar (but not quite as bad) as when I had iOS 5 on the iPad 1. There is s small, but noticeable delay when pressing buttons on the keyboard, and other small things like this. While it certainly can be lived with, it is worth noting I am noticing a performance bottleneck. It's up to you, but personally, I am waiting for a retina iPad mini. I love the feel of that size of device. (Sorry steve..)

That is horrible. I still use and type this on iPad 1. It was perfect until I upgraded to iOS5. This little lag everywhere drives me to purchase a new rev. So far it seems one can go through one update cycle without the fear of braking the experience...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.