iPad 3 - weight

Discussion in 'iPad' started by i0Nic, Mar 6, 2012.

1. i0Nic macrumors 65816

So we all know the iPad 3 is going to be 0.8mm thicker. Most people would correctly assume this is not really a big deal and won't be noticed much.

But, what about the weight of the iPad 3? That *will* be noticed if it goes up.

The weight of the iPad 1 was my biggest problem with the device. It made it hard to hold up for considerable lengths of time. It was simply too heavy.

The iPad 2 was a bit lighter, just enough lighter to make it noticeable, and it was great. Prior to these iPad 3 rumours, I was hoping for an even lighter iPad 3.

Now we face the prospect that the iPad 3 is going to be slightly thicker, but does this also mean it will be slightly heavier?

I have not seen much discussion on this, and I feel it is a real issue. What are your thoughts?

2. ebolamonkey3 macrumors regular

ebolamonkey3

Probably. They probably crammed a bigger battery in there for the higher res display and LTE.

3. aleni macrumors 68020

i feel the iPad 2 still heavy for a tablet, especially since u put smart cover and a back case.

i'd sacrifice 3 hours of battery life to a much lighter iPad 3. :D

4. DenisAuermann, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  5. Emoo macrumors regular

I've never really noticed a weight issue with the iPad 2 when I use my mom's, since most of the time it's just sitting on my lap. For school purposes, when I carry round electronics (like my six-ish pound laptop), I've never been fatigued by carrying it around in one arm.

I'm not sure that a few extra ounces is really that big of a deal when you consider the other benefits. Battery life is a HUGE selling point for iPad, and I sure as hell don't want to lose a good three hours of work time.