Ipad 3 wifi is horrible

Discussion in 'iPad' started by davyvfr, Oct 4, 2012.

1. davyvfr macrumors regular

I have a brand new 16GB wifi only Ipad 3. I have disconnects regularly and get only about one bar in my dorm room. My roommate has an Ipad 3 and has the same problem. Why is this? Our router is 5 ft away.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Change the channel on the router

3. davyvfr thread starter macrumors regular

Can't find the administrator who runs the routers. Its hidden behind a wall near our bathroom.

I was reading some posts that the new iPad 3 does have Wifi issues and it is a problem with the battery blocking the Wifi chip or the person holding the iPad right where the Wifi is located. Apple didn't seem to recall the Ipad but they are replacing them and multiple users have the same problem.

4. jimHdk macrumors regular

Yeah, if you read it on the Internet it must be true. Completely bogus.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

If you were to scan the local wifi networks you'd find several using the same channel that's what usually causes the issue.

6. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings

If that doesn't do the trick, consider a WiFi extender to boost the signal.

7. token787 macrumors regular

token787

I had the same problem with the 32 gb.

8. blackbelter macrumors member

Another reason to update the iPad line. Do it, Apple! Just do it!

9. sim667 macrumors 65816

I would say that you've probably got crap routers.

10. clibinarius macrumors 6502a

I had problems for two days when I first got it, and now it works fine...dunno why.

I do think there might be a compatibility issue with the router and iPads. Give it back if you still can (the iPad) as it'll be mostly useless with your college.

11. sers macrumors regular

Wifi on iPad 3s work fine. It's usually the router that's causing the trouble. Either the signal is weak or you need to change the channel on the router. I had this issue once with all my devices and finally found a channel that worked.

12. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

It's been brought up--but this complete BS. Doesn't matter how you hold it, the battery isn't 'blocking the WiFi chip'---and I'd bet your (and your roommate's) iPads are working just fine. If you have a McDonalds, Starbucks, library---or maybe even a local Apple Store (they tend to have phenomenal bandwidth and free to access)...swing through, anywhere that offers public WiFi access...you should be able to isolate the issue. The chances the two of you both got bad units is pretty remote. Weird things happen...it hasn't been out a year, so Apple will gladly hand you over a brand new one if, in fact, it is damaged.

If you find that your iPad is fine after testing...track down your RA so they can get the IT dept on top of this--as so many others have mentioned, it could be old, worn out...or just plain faulty routers. As well---if EVERYone in the dorm is utilizing the same 'pipe' that feeds these routers...well, as you know...performance is going to decrease. With streaming video, downloading, surfing, et al---I'd be willing to bet that's your problem. Just too many folks trying to use the same 'faucet' :)

Good Luck---and no, it's absolutely NOT an inherent problem with the tablet! We've got a half dozen, all original, that we use for our business. No issues with any:)

Jer

13. xAgustinx, Oct 5, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  14. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

I use my iPad 3 on wifi in my bedroom, and my router is about 5 feet away too. It works fine. I was also on vacation recently, again used wifi from a router much farther away, and it worked fine as well. So I'm pretty sure that the problem is the router/signal, not the iPads.

15. token787 macrumors regular

token787

Tried 2 wifi at home, McDonalds, and public library. Still no good. I'm now looking into 4g or another tablet. Really enjoyed toting it around instead of my macbook pro.

16. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

Wifi works flawlessly on my iPad 3, whether I'm at home or at school or at Starbucks.

17. davyvfr thread starter macrumors regular

Update

You guys are right. My Ipad 3 is just fine, since I am able to get three bars (full wifi) 20ft from router (at home). So the dorm room router must have issues since I have had disconnects before (multiple times). Everyone on our floor has this issue. They have a 100mbps download Internet package but with the router they have it seems very unstable. Maybe because they put it behind a wall, who knows. Thanks for the replies.

18. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Same here. It must be a router specific issue.