Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaulWog

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 28, 2011
I'm considering selling my Macbook Air (2011) and buying an iPad 3.

I've found since I bought my Macbook Air, all I use it for is email, typing, internet, and having fun with the touchpad swipe features. I'm almost always on my desktop. I think an iPad might actually be more useful. I'm also quite picky about screens, and the Macbook Air's screen leaves something to be desired.

I'm wondering whether the iPad, using a physical keyboard, is just as useful for note-taking?

There are a couple of iPads in the house already, and I find I can type quite fast with them on their touchscreens (70+ words per minute), but I type much faster, more accurately, and more comfortably with a physical keyboard. I've seen the cases with keyboards on them for the iPad: useful in the real-world?

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
I bought a keyboard for my iPad 2/3 and it's one of the best investments I've ever made. I got the Zagg case/keyboard. When I go on a trip, I put the iPad in it and I can much more productive because of it. I can type fine on the on-screen keyboard but I am much more accurate and effective with a physical keyboard.

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
I bought a keyboard for my iPad 2/3 and it's one of the best investments I've ever made. I got the Zagg case/keyboard. When I go on a trip, I put the iPad in it and I can much more productive because of it. I can type fine on the on-screen keyboard but I am much more accurate and effective with a physical keyboard.

Agreed. I have that case and also the Zaggfolio. Both are great.

Getitdone

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2012
I have found that the keyboard is very useful at times and am glad that I bought it. I don't use it all that often - but it is awesome to have on hand when I need it.

I use the Origami case and it has worked very well for my purposes, but for someone who uses it more often the Zaggfolio would work better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.