iPad 3 with Siri?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SmyrnaTEK, Feb 15, 2012.

1. SmyrnaTEK macrumors newbie

Would it be safe to assume the iPad 3 will utilize Siri?

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Why wouldn't it?

3. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Only a guess right now, and no firm confirmation by Apple. I hope it would have SIRI but my guess it will not.

4. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Because unlike some other rumored features, right now the most "reliable" rumors of Siri don't amount to much more than "it would make sense if they did and gee we hope they do."

Is there a good chance of it? Sure. Is it "safe to assume" hat it will happen? No way.

5. palpatine macrumors 68040

siri? not impressed. i never use it on my 4s.

and, i am not about to sit around in coffee shops or in bed asking siri directions to abortion clinics. cool technology, but it doesn't fit my life. i can't really see how siri on the ipad would fit anyone's life. i doubt they will include it.

if they do, i hope they don't include siri as a way to cover up for lack of innovation in other areas.

6. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

So because you wouldn't use it, no one else would?

7. palpatine macrumors 68040

yes. lol. just kidding. i hope that (siri is no good for me, so it is no good for anyone) isn't all you got out of my post.

but, i can only speak for myself. can anyone give me an idea of a use-case for siri? it makes sense for the iphone, and i can understand having it there (texting, reminders, etc. while driving, working out, or running).

8. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

While I agree it would look a little silly holidng up an iPad to use Siri, we must remember that she is only in Beta right now, and the possibilities of use are endless.

9. HERO XXL macrumors regular

Try as I might, I cant see what those endless possibilities are--I hate the entire "hold to initiate" process and for some tasks, it's quicker to just access them the original way. The frustrating part is when I have to repeat myself or when it just isn't working at one time or another. I pacify myself by reminding myself that it's "still in beta", but at this point, I hardly even bother.

10. palpatine macrumors 68040

i wouldn't say endless, but sure. i've read ender's game :)

maybe there is a use out there for siri on the ipad. i just don't see it.

more concretely, think of star trek. sure, they always talked to the computer, and that is cool, but did you ever notice that only one person at a time addressed the computer? that's because it would be pandemonium if everyone was chatting away with her on the bridge.

my point? i use dictation software, so there are times when i am talking to the computer, but most of the time i am not in an environment that makes much sense for voice input. running, driving, etc. are good use-cases, but this is more appropriate (in my mind) for the iphone.

11. c14nhl macrumors 6502

c14nhl

With a lot of iPads being sold wifi only and not always having a connection, I think Siri could get quite messy.

12. mattraehl macrumors 6502

This is a great point that I hadn't thought of.

13. lepeos macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Siri will be iPad 3S/4. Once it comes out of beta and starts integrating with 3rd party apps they won't be able to not have it in

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Easy enough for Apple to enable Siri only on 3G iPads, if they think that will be a problem.

15. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

In addition to c14nhl's comment about how the wifi iPads won't always have internet access, I feel like Apple will keep Siri as an iPhone-only feature to give it something unique that the iPad doesn't have. Now I'm probably wrong about this, but that's the feeling I get. I guess we'll be finding out in about a month or so....