iPad 3 won't restore --**FIXED!!!**

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by icydog, Nov 16, 2013.

1. icydog, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013

icydog macrumors member

I started doing the latest "security" update that just came out on my iPad 3. When I started the update the Connect to iTunes with a picture of the iPad connector shows up. I tried restoring the iPad but it keeps on coming back with an error message most of the time saying the system has timed out.
    I am in London on vacation and I need my iPad but it won't restore or update or anything. I have done the hard reboot and hit Restore over and over but half way through the restore I am thrown off and I have to start over with the same results. I can't call Apple from here and I am so upset.

Can you please help me to get my iPad working again?
    Thanks
    Marylyn

SEE this POST.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Are you using a cable?

It's going to be the only way to get your iPad running again....If you've been using wifi, try a cable...If you can't connect to your normal backup location, then even if you mange to get it up and running again, unless all your content is in the cloud, you won't have all or some of your music and apps.

If the cable has been tried and failed then I'd take it in to the nearest Apple Store.

3. icydog thread starter macrumors member

I have it hooked up via wifi the only option here in the hotel. I am typing on my macbook air but I do most everything on my iPad. I did the upgrade and still it shows the wire and connect to iTunes thing on the screen. It took hours to do the upgrade since I kept getting thrown off.. This time I refreshed the network every 30 seconds and the upgrade or restore showed complete but not on iTunes where it is asking me to restore it again!!!

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The only way back is going to be via a cable and iTunes on the computer that holds your original backups....If you took it to Apple they'd probably get it going, but your data that isn't stored in the Cloud will be absent, and you'd have to do the whole thing again anyway.

5. icydog, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013

icydog thread starter macrumors member

Fixed!!!!

I finally got the iPad to work. I had to plug into AC power for a minute and I think that rebooted it. In any case, you are absolutely right with the iPad hooked up by cable to my MBA I was able to get it done.

Luckily I had everything backed up to the cloud. I got my contacts, my calendars and my music as soon as I signed into the cloud. .

I had to reload my email addresses and passwords. Most of my pictures have not gotten to my iPad yet, only the most recent have shown up. I can hook it up to my home computer when I get finished in England to get the rest of the pics in there if they don't show up from the cloud.

I am so happy this is fixed. I am lost without my iPad. I use it for everything and it is always at the ready beside my chair at home. I almost had a heart attack when it failed. It took me 3 hours of doing this and that to get it done but thanks to the heavens it is up now.

Thanks to those who offered help. It was right on and I am back in business.
    Marylyn

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Whoo! Glad you got it up and running....and that your information was in the Cloud...Wifi syncing is ok, but in this type of situation, a cable is essential!