Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DavidReeves

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
I'll preface this with a disclaimer that I know very little about stereoscopy. I'm much more on the coding / architecture side of things and am just now getting into UX - mostly mobile.

Anyway, I was tinkering with an app (can't recall the name) that had a few of those "cross your eyes and you can see something in 3D" images.... It was mostly boring, but I was bored so it served its purpose.

My point, though, is that I happened to still have my eyes adjusted in that odd focus and brought up the keyboard on the iPad. The keys were perfectly laid out to create the illusion of depth on the keyboard. (I'm not saying the letters were correct, but the rows and frames of the keys were perfect. It seems that even the shading of the keyboard background assisted with the effect.)

It could just be a function of the gradient and perfect key layout, but could it hint at something much larger?

Give it a try yourself.... Pull up the keyboard in landscape and slowly cross your eyes until the letter to the left adjoining key covers the right. It'll take a moment, but when the keys come into focus, you can make out the distinct three levels of keys. Hmmmmmm....

Jsn

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2008
Wow. You're totally right.

When you defocus your eyes correctly, the iPad keyboard clicks into three-dimensional space. It looks as if the rows are a series of stair steps--the row on the bottom (where the spacebar is) appears closest to you, and they seem to descend, to step-down, with each row.

That's very interesting! Pretty cool that you caught it. Now that I see it, it's hard NOT to see it.

Figbash Acrobat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2009
Alphaville
LOL. The poor man's 3D!

I'm not surprised that 3D on the iPad has finally come into conversation (albeit in regards to the keyboard), but I am surprised at this approach. Maybe it'll catch like wildfire, and before long you'll see iPad owners walking around with their eyes stuck crossed (that's what my momma said would happen if you do this too often anyways. lol).

Sorry, though. I wont even try this, as I already have bad enough eyes. But seeing as how 3D is all the rage now, it likely won't be long before it's incorporated into an iPad. It'll be interesting to see if it becomes a priority for the next revision. I doubt it, maybe two gens from now, but we'll see. I honestly hate the 3D revolution. I guess I'm just an old fashioned film fan. Then again, that's probably what people said when we went from silents to talkies, B&W to color, and again with film to digital. Still, I'll always be a fan of my good 'old' spring-wound 16mm Bolex...and yeah, that's 2D. :D

Now that I'm thinking of it, I also miss editing on a flatbed Steenbeck. Damnit, technological advancements! How I depend on you and yet you always make me nostalgic for an era long gone... :(

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
LOL. The poor man's 3D!

I'm not surprised that 3D on the iPad has finally come into conversation, but I am surprised at this approach. Maybe it'll catch life wildfire, and before long you'll see iPad owners walking around with their eyes stuck crossed (that's what my momma said would happen if you do this to often anyways. lol).

Sorry, though. I wont even try this, as I already have bad enough eyes. But seeing as how 3D is all the rage now, it likely won't be long before it's incorporated into an iPad. It'll be interesting to see if it becomes a priority for the next revision. I doubt it, maybe two gens from now, but we'll see. I honestly hate the 3D revolution. I guess I'm just an old fashioned film fan. Then again, that's probably what people said when we went from silents to talkies, B&W to color, and again with film to digital. Still, I'll always be a fan of my good 'old' spring-wound 16mm Bolex...and yeah, that's 2D. :D

Now that I'm thinking of it, I also miss editing on a flatbed Steenbeck. Damnit, technological advancements! How I depend on you and yet you always make me nostalgic for an era long gone... :(

I just hate how studios are marketing crappy movies as big hits just because they're in 3d. I have not yet seen a 3d movie, but I think that the new Harry Potter will be my first.

Figbash Acrobat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2009
Alphaville
I just hate how studios are marketing crappy movies as big hits just because they're in 3d. I have not yet seen a 3d movie, but I think that the new Harry Potter will be my first.

Ha. Me neither. Well, I saw Nightmare Before Christmas in 3D a few years back, but otherwise nothing. Yeah, it bothers me too. Every trailer you see now is like, "IN STUNNING 3D....also showing in 2D[/SIZE]". Haha. Yeah, it's sad. But funny, because my girlfriend said the exact same thing when we saw the latest Harry Potter trailer. And I agreed I'd be willing to see the 3D version too. I just hate how movies are always pushing 3D as if it's the only way to see it. Hello!? Is the art of filmmaking no longer relevant unless it's popping out of the screen?? Also, I can't stand wearing those glasses! I wear contacts so I don't have to wear glasses. Now I have to put 'em back on, but now they're bulky cheap plastic 3D glasses. No thank you. :rolleyes:

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Ha. Me neither. Well, I saw Nightmare Before Christmas in 3D a few years back, but otherwise nothing. Yeah, it bothers me too. Every trailer you see now is like, "IN STUNNING 3D....also showing in 2D[/SIZE]". Haha. Yeah, it's sad. But funny, because my girlfriend said the exact same thing when we saw the latest Harry Potter trailer. And I agreed I'd be willing to see the 3D version too. I just hate how movies are always pushing 3D as if it's the only way to see it. Hello!? Is the art of filmmaking no longer relevant unless it's popping out of the screen?? Also, I can't stand wearing those glasses! I wear contacts so I don't have to wear glasses. Now I have to put 'em back on, but now they're bulky cheap plastic 3D glasses. No thank you. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

3-D contacts would be pretty cool *to the drawing board!*

Figbash Acrobat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2009
Alphaville
3-D contacts would be pretty cool *to the drawing board!*

:) now that's a thought...but imagine having to put them in and take them out immediately before/after a movie! You'd be bumping into things, grabbing for your popcorn from 10 feet away, etc. Just imagine the urinal situation! Not good. People piss all over the place as is!

Now how 'bout bi-focal 2D/3D contacts?? *back to the drawing board*
I'm beginning to see a trend. Guess we know what those studio execs do all day now... (besides bath in $$$) Tom Cruise in "Tropic Thunder" comes to mind.... :D

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
:) now that's a thought...but imagine having to put them in and take them out immediately before/after a movie! You'd be bumping into things, grabbing for your popcorn from 10 feet away, etc. Just imagine the urinal situation! Not good. People piss all over the place as is!

Now how 'bout bi-focal 2D/3D contacts?? *back to the drawing board*
I'm beginning to see a trend. Guess we know what those studio execs do all day now... (besides bath in $$$) Tom Cruise in "Tropic Thunder" comes to mind.... :D

I've never messed with 3d glasses. I didn't know that they messed with your 3d in real life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.