iPad 3G abroad - do I need to activate new SIM?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by borisiii, Sep 5, 2011.

1. borisiii macrumors 6502

I will be in Germany for a couple of weeks and I am planning on taking my iPad as my only computer.

My question is will I be able to insert a Vodafone 3G sim card and use it straight away, or will I need to connect it to iTunes to activate it? If anyone could point me in the direction of an Apple support page or whatever that would be appreciated.

My plan is to leave my Mac at home, so if I will need to connect it to iTunes after inserting the sim card, it will be useless to me.

My iPad is a first generation 3G (factory unlocked) currently on O2 UK.

Thanks!

2. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

This question after two years of iPads being sold and used globally? :)

Just put the card in and put in 4 x 0000 if that is still the pin and there is no need to activate it. BTW, ALL iPads are factory unlocked.

3. borisiii thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok thanks. I know if you swap the sim on an iPhone you need to connect to iTunes to activate the new sim, so I wasn't sure about the iPad, since I have only used the original sim card with it. I know all iPads sold in the UK are unlocked, but I thought I had heard that AT&T was locking them in the US, so I wanted to nip anyone saying "it's locked - you won't be able to" in the bud.

I just wanted to be extra sure, since if I bought the sim and then had to connect it to iTunes before it would work then I would have effectively thrown €25 away.

4. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

It's all good. I do this all the time in the UK and Italy, Germany, Portugal, etc... when I travel. I even do it when I am in the States. Apple never locked the iPad. Urban legend...