Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

azstinger

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Hey,

So I am looking at getting an iPad in the US for usage overseas as well. I will going to Qatar and be getting a micro sim card (or maybe having to hack a normal sim card down but would like to avoid that). My question is would that work? I heard somewhere that the US iPads only work on AT&Ts (well now verizon i guess) network. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
Hey,

So I am looking at getting an iPad in the US for usage overseas as well. I will going to Qatar and be getting a micro sim card (or maybe having to hack a normal sim card down but would like to avoid that). My question is would that work? I heard somewhere that the US iPads only work on AT&Ts (well now verizon i guess) network. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It will work great! US iPads are not locked to a carrier. I have used mine in Norway and Turkey with local sims. Micro sims had just become available when I was in Norway, but in Turkey I had to cut down a TurkCell sim - worked perfectly.

bad angel

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2010
USA
As KevinC867 said, iPads are not locked to AT&T so you should have no trouble using it with a local carrier in Qatar.

However, iPads do not work on Verizon's network. Verizon's network uses a different technology (CDMA) that the iPad's cellular radio does not work with. The iPad will only work with carriers that use GSM technology like AT&T and most of the other carriers around the world. Verizon is selling iPads specifically for use with their MiFi devices that create a Wi-Fi hotspot, to which the iPad can connect without any trouble.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
That's one of the most appealing aspects of the 3G iPad, that you can readily purchase local SIMS in lots of countries (mostly at reasonable prices).

azstinger

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Ok thanks for the quick answers guys!

Time for one more stupid newb question! I did a search and was able to find lots of information on how to jailbreak other devices and get them to tether to the iPad but not the other way around. Perhaps my google-fu is weak tonight but if I jailbreak the iPad could I use it as a 3G modem (preferably via USB for best speed) for my MB? Ok done with the stupid questions... i hope.

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
Ok thanks for the quick answers guys!

Time for one more stupid newb question! I did a search and was able to find lots of information on how to jailbreak other devices and get them to tether to the iPad but not the other way around. Perhaps my google-fu is weak tonight but if I jailbreak the iPad could I use it as a 3G modem (preferably via USB for best speed) for my MB? Ok done with the stupid questions... i hope.

Yes, that works great too. The iPad is perfect for doing this because of it's great battery life. I did it on both of the trips I mentioned.

The catch might come in the version of iOS you are running on your iPad. There is a very easy jail break for iOS 3.2.1 (http://www.jailbreakme.com). Apple promptly came out with iOS 3.2.2 to prevent this. I might not be up to date, but I don't think there is a jailbreak available for 3.2.2. If that's the version you are running, you might have to wait for 4.2 to come out soon and then a little longer for a jailbreak to be developed.

Update: It looks like there are some jailbreak solutions for iOS 3.2.2. Google will reveal all. ;)

Update 2: Once you have jailbroken your iPad, you will find the Cydia store app installed. Go there and look for either the TetherMe app (will tether your MB vi either USB or Bluetooth) or MyWi (will greate a WiFi hotspot). I use MyWi so I can easily provide an internet connection to my iPhone, MacBook and also friends and family's devices. WiFi is faster than 3G, so speed is not an issue.

Last edited:

azstinger

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
I am currently deployed so I will be buying the iPad after i return, maybe gen 2 if it is out by then. Just trying to do research ahead of time, that and I'm dang bored over here :D

Thanks for the quick response. I think it will do everything I am looking for it to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.