iPad 3G Advice? Should I get one?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rick3000, May 6, 2010.

1. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

Hi,
    I currently have an iPod Touch 32GB and 15" MBP. I refuse to pay $70 a month for an iPhone, and the biggest draw back to my iPod Touch (the reason I rarely use it) is that I don't have WiFi everywhere. The iPad 3G seems like a good compromise, less cost to get WiFi everywhere, basically a big iPhone without the phone which is fine because my dedicated phone doesn't drop calls.
    However, I am struggling with paying $630 price point plus a $40 case, plus tax, and then in six month Apple releasing new iPad with a camera, more memory and a lower price (As Apple always does).

What do you guys think, should I go for it, or wait?
    If the next gen iPad is totally awesome, how much do you think I would lose flipping the current one for the new one?
    Thanks for the advise!

2. EasyJW macrumors member

Well, i'm in the same boots as you, but i have an iphone 3g [​IMG] and recently i found mywi which is a jailbreak app which uses the iPhones 3g and sends it as a wifi, this made my decision much easier to go for the wifi model and just have my iPhone on me at all times, but to your point. Have you ever looked at a mifi? it's basically a mobile wireless router that you could carry with you and have 3g/4G speeds anywhere in the world? the mifi data charges are much more reasonable then the ipads

3. Hmac macrumors 68020

The iPad is a great device. Because of its size and its 3G capability, I take it places I never bothered to take my iPod Touch. IOW, the size inconvenience relative to carrying it, is, IMHO, more than offset by the significantly enhanced usability its larger size provides.

Worth it to you? How can anyone know? It's apparent that you are a very careful consumer who wants to make sure you spend your money wisely. You are going to be more prone to disappointment because of your closer attention to the cost/benefit ratio of this particular piece of technology. Me...the cost of the iPad wasn't that big a deal to me, so it had a lower performance bar to meet in my mind. It has vastly exceeded it for me.

4. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i take the ipad 3g with me in my car all the time now. in addition i do 90% of my couchsurfing and email at home with it.

my MBP gets 50% less use now.

you just have to figure out if this extra convenience is worth the 700 or 800 dollar.

5. kRaZyEyEz macrumors newbie

If your saying that you cant get an iPhone with the 3g plan. You still have to give out $30 a month for the iPad plus the $599 or whatever starting price. I say no.