iPad 3G and Micro SIM.

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by tuamtuem, Apr 17, 2010.

1. tuamtuem macrumors member

Can I cut my own SIM to be a micro SIM for using with iPad 3G because my carrier in my country doesn't provide this yet? Although it can be fit my iPad, Can I use EDGE/3G properly with my service provider (I mean if I want to use others carriers rather than AT&T).

Sorry for my poor English ;)

Thanks

Note: I live outside US but my cousin currently live in US. She will see me in June and she will bring iPad 3G version to me if it can work normally in my country.

2. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

No. If the carrier doesn't support it, it wont work.

3. dnc1916 macrumors member

Sorry to contradict you but this reply might be misinterpreted. The actual microsim isn't the issue, it's the frequency band of 3G that the carrier uses which is the key determinant. For example, here in Ireland the 3G networks use 2100MHz UMTS and so the iPad will (or should!) work fine here. In the US, I think only AT&T uses that band and that's why there is a bigger problem there changing to a different carrier.

If any 3G carrier in the OP's country supports UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz) as per the iPad's specs, then the iPad will work fine.

Whether a regular sized sim can be cut down to the size of a microsim by simply slicing off the excess plastic is another question. Everyone online that has commented on it has said that it should be fine, as long as you are accurate with your slicing. I'm getting the US 3G iPad shipped to me at the end of April and I'm going to be buying a 3 Ireland sim for €5 and chopping it down to give it a try!

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Just to clarify:

A micro SIM is no different technology-wise than a more common mini SIM, other than size. So yes, you can cut a mini SIM down to micro size. There are tools available to help you make a perfect cut too.

That said, your carrier must support the 3G freqs that the iPad supports. For example T-Mob in the U.S. does not support it, so you would only get EDGE service, not 3G.

So do some research there before you buy or cut.

5. illutionz macrumors 65816

Since you're outside the US, just make sure your carrier is using the standard 2100 UMTS frequency... which almost everyone uses except North and South America which majority uses 850 UMTS and this is also compatible with iPad.

As long as you're not using those 1700 UMTS carriers, you're good

6. WERA Cannoli macrumors newbie

link?

7. tuamtuem thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot for ur comment dnc1916!!

I wrote this thread because I am not quite sure about the built-in application on iPad, which allows you to choose data plan from AT&T and automatically deduct the bill from ur credit card. I think that iPad owners has to be authorized by this program to enable them to surf the internet by using 3G.

Can anyone confirm my understanding please?

8. strangelogic macrumors regular

Probably cannot confirm anything regarding that since they are not shipping the 3g model yet. The device is supposed to be unlocked - so even though there is software to activate service if you don't have it. There should be no need to utilize that software if you have inserted an activated micro-sim... But it is 2010 and :apple: is trying to lock everyone into working with their partners so... your suspicion seems on track.

9. tuamtuem thread starter macrumors member