iPad 3G AT&T activation for foreign people

Discussion in 'iPad' started by IFRS, May 10, 2010.

1. IFRS macrumors member

Hi,

In summer I will visit the USA for two weeks. Instead of roaming, I want to use AT&T 3G on my iPad. AT&T customer service told me they do not accept non-US credit cards for activation. Does someone know a payment method for foreign people who want to use AT&T 3G network?

Maybe American Express Gift card a solution? Has someone experience and a solution for this problem.

Thanks!

2. macmedal macrumors regular

It is so frustrating trying to find cheap solutions for data whilst abroad. There seems to be every effort on the part of these cellular networks to make sure non domiciles pay maximum for data usage. I suppose it is the same here in the UK for visitors who do not have UK cards ?

I too would like a solution as I often visit the US and always have the frustration of having to turn off the data on my iPhone and now it seems the iPad is victim to the same even though you do not have to have a contract for the iPad.

3. wombat888 macrumors 6502a

If you do this often enough, you might consider opening a U.S. bank account and getting a U.S. debit card with credit card emblem. It would be overkill for a single trip, but could make sense for someone who comes frequently on business. Just a thought, I don't know if it's practical.

4. Hounster macrumors newbie

I used a target prepaid visa this past week while attending a wedding and it worked perfectly. I just used the address of the hotel as a billing address. I did find that there were tons of free wifi hotspots and wished I had done the $15 plan instead of the $30, I didn't even use 100MB of 3G data

5. Battlestar macrumors 6502

For only two weeks why can't you get along with public WiFi?

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, for one thing, you might be in places w/o public WiFi! Last weekend we went driving in the mountains just north of NYC, and having 3G (well, sometimes we dropped down to edge) meant we could use the iPad's maps app to quickly figure out where we were. And no, no WiFi in the mountains! :D