iPad 3G AT&T data plan

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mobile23, Aug 28, 2010.

1. mobile23 macrumors member

mobile23

I will be going to the state for a 3 weeks business trip. Since there is no contract with the AT&T 3G iPad plan, I would like to get one while I am there. But I am not a US resident. I do not have a US address nor a US credit card. Will the hotel address and Canadian credit card work for activating the 3G data plan? Thanks

2. hcho3 macrumors 68030

The credit card can be used in other countries...
    The foreign transaction fee will be in the account.
    As far as AT&T 3G plans, you can pick either one of these two plans

1. 200 MB for 15 dollars
    2. 2GB for 25 dollars.

3. mobile23 thread starter macrumors member

mobile23

thanks for the quick reply. do i just go AT&T or Apple store to get the micro sim? is the card free? (iPad micro sim cards are free in Canada)

4. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

The SIM card should be inside already when you buy it. When I bought mines the SIM was inside already.

5. gottafly macrumors regular

If you already have the iPad 3G model, you can purchase a micro sim from an AT&T store for $15.

6. b.c. macrumors 6502

hi

I live in Canada and just returned from trip to US using my iPad 3G (purchased in Canada) with AT&T data plan. please see my post from another thread here which should answer your questions

note: not all Canadian credit cards will work with the AT&T signup procedure. my Canadian Visa (CIBC) did not work. but apparently Canadian AMEX cards do work. and entering your correct Cdn billing address with your Cdn Visa card will also fail (the AT&T signup form on the iPad will fail without a valid US address, it only lets you enter US-style ZIP codes, not Cdn postal codes)

in summary, US hotel address and US-bought VISA gift card will work - that's what I used successfully. but as I said, please read my other post for more info

7. mobile23 thread starter macrumors member

mobile23

Thanks for the great tip. How or where can I get a VISA gift card?

8. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Just about anywhere will sell them these days. Some might have to be registered online before using them, so check the package for those kinds of details.

But around here i could go to any gas station, target, walmart, office supply store, grocery store, drug store (WalGreens, cvs) and pick one up. The overhead charge might vary on them, $50 card for $53-57 for example, but I'm guessing even with that overhead it is cheaper than roaming!

9. b.c. macrumors 6502

hi - you're welcome!

many US retailers seem to carry their own brand of prepaid Visa cards. for example Walmart, Walgreens, I think even Safeway etc. but many of the ones I looked into had certain disadvantages - for example recurring monthly fees, or per-use fees, or balances that expire, or you had to register the card online before use.

in my case I bought a Visa gift card from Target, it was convenient to get as there were many Target store in the area I was visiting.

The Target Visa gift card is a non-reloadable card, but it has no recurring fees and the balance never expires. you don't need to register the card so there's no name or address associated with the card (I think this is a key to the success in signing up for the AT&T data plan, as the CC verification step will not fail with your hotel address) it does have a one time fee at time of purchase, I think it was $4 for a $50 card. there were a few different denominations $25/50/100. you can check the balance online. no disadvantages I could find.

I think you can buy prepaid Visa gift cards online directly from VISA - but I you need to make sure you're buying from US Visa, not Canadian - it's unclear to me if a Cdn one works or not (a good experiment for someone!)

I suggest before your trip you check what retailers convenient in the area you are visiting offer prepaid Visa gift cards, and do a bit of research into their terms & conditions - in particular look for recurring fees.

10. mobile23 thread starter macrumors member

mobile23

Thanks again. These are very helpful. ;)

11. mobile23 thread starter macrumors member

mobile23

Just a quick update for anyone going to travel to the US and want to use their iPad with AT&T.... I went to an AT&T store. They said I need an account to get the micro-sim even I was willing to pay $15 just for the card. So I went back to Apple Store and told them about AT&T was not selling me a card. (i told them I am from Canada.) They simply gave me a card for free..... And for US gift credit card, Target did not have them (at least in Boston). so I just bought an American Express gift credit card from Walmart. I didn't go for a Visa because they said they will send you a "real" credit card in 10 days which I don't want them to do even I am going to stay in my hotel for the next 2 weeks. For AE, you just keep using the card that is in the package. :)