Ipad 3g buyers question (uk)?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Poondash, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Poondash macrumors newbie

Hello all,

Ordering a iPad mostly for home use although I would be taking it out now and then but not religiously (maybe 1-2 times a month).

When at home it will be running of my wifi, but I dont mind paying the extra to get the 3g version for when I'm on my travels.

My question, these PAYG sims are they like a normal phone one? If i top up £10 could that £10 last me a few months/year if 3g is used very rarely, or does the PAYG have to have a minimum top up each month.

Or maybe on another note does the 3g version get to see much 3g access? With most places these days wifi connected?

As said I don't mind paying for the wifi +3g but is it worth it in the long run?
    Will 3g die or grow in the next few years?

Sorry for all the newbie question, Hope I get some useful feedback :)

Cheers.

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

I'm not sure about your PAYG question but I'm with Three who offer 1gb of data for £7.50 a month, which is fantastic value.

I couldn't go back to having just a wifi model now; I keep 3G on and use it almost everywhere. It's easier to use than password-protected wifi networks because the 3G is always on, and if you're with a decent provider, it should be pretty quick.

3. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Also bear in mind that 3G has GPS, which is amazingly useful together with real-estate screen!
    You should check carefully in UK with your local provider to see which suits you best. Here in Mexico they have month subscriptions (1 Gb and up) as well as rechargeable plans (you charge 10 USD or so and they last until they last), which are much more expensive but apt for a very reduced use.