ipad 3g download speed vs. iphone 3g in NYC? which faster?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by pjny, May 2, 2010.

1. pjny macrumors 6502a

Hello,

I am trying to find out if the download speeds on the iPad 3g will be faster than on iphone 3g because of new antenna design. I am in New York City metro area and 3g speeds are ridiculously slow compared to Verizon(4x slower last time I checked using speedtest bandwidth test).

I have a jailbroken iphone using mywi hotspot app and wonder if I will get same speeds using mywi and using ipad 3g.

I'm just trying to decide between 3g or wi-fi version.

Thanks.

2. sanPietro98 macrumors 6502a

sanPietro98

I can tell you about Philly

I'm not in New York, but I just ran a test in the Philadelphia area. I used the Universal Speed Test App on an iPad Wifi+3G and also on my iPhone 3G several times, alternating between the iPhone and iPad. Here are the average speeds:

iPhone 3G:
    - Download 402 kbps
    - Upload: 350 kbps

iPad Wifi+3G:
    - Download: 2012 kbps
    - Upload 356 kbps

The download speed difference is pretty dramatic. For both, I am pretty close to a cell tower, both getting 5 bars.

3. MatthewStorm macrumors 6502a

MatthewStorm

I am in NYC and the difference between the iPad and iPhone is substantial. iPad 3G is much faster.

4. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

Most sites which benchmarked download speeds for the iPad 3g found it to be just slightly faster then the iPhone 3gS in the same location on the same carrier.

IE:

http://gizmodo.com/5528240/ipad-3g-test-notes?skyline=true&s=i

The additional antennas of the iPad 3g will help it hold on to a marginal signal better then the smaller antennas of the iPhone, but should have little effect on the upload or download speed if both devices are in a solid coverage area.