iPad 3G GPS

Discussion in 'iPad' started by stubeeef, May 1, 2010.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

i have read this
    http://gizmodo.com/5528240/ipad-3g-test-notes

but want to hear from the 3G gang about your GPS experience.
    i am interested in an iPad 3G IF along with many other things the GPS function is at least on par with a stand alone like my Garmin 780.

2. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

I did a fair amount of playing around with the GPS yesterday and I don't see any issues at all. I have my cell data turned off completely because I intend to tether. I found the first lock attempt to be very fast and I would say as fast as my iPhone 3G or likely faster.

I did find the accuracy to be better on the ipad. Using Maps it identified me exactly where I was sitting in the house where the iphone tends to wander in and around the house a bit. In case there was any question, my access point is not indexed by Skyhook.

Navigon runs much better on the iPad than it does on my iphone. It has much smoother movement and hasn't yet displayed some of the quirks I've found running it on the iPhone. I hope they decide to update to an ipad app soon. Of course, with the cell data off and untethered I won't be able to do a google POI search from the Navigon menu.

In soummary, i would say that the ipad will work admirably for GPS purposes.

3. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

I have both the WiFi and 3G iPads and the 3G GPS rocks. It locks on instantly, even indoors and tracks very well. We just need better software.
    Nothing beats Garmin software.