iPad 3G? how often do you find yourself using 3G?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jmthigpen, May 9, 2011.

1. jmthigpen macrumors regular

just curious - other than those that use their iPad while commuting to and from work, how often do you find yourself using the 3G on your iPad, and do you think it is worth the extra $130? how convenient has the 3G turned out to be?

2. rowuncw macrumors newbie

I knew I wasn't going to be using the 3g much when I bought one a few weeks because most of the places I use my iPad have wifi. However, I knew that there would be times when I really needed/wanted 3g and I would be kicking myself if I didn't pay the extra money from the beginning. The clincher for me was that there's no contract involved, so I can just leave my account inactive most of the time and then activate it if I go on vacation or something. Another thing to remember is you'll need to the 3g feature to use GPS for navigation and maps.

3. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

In a week and a half i used 6GB of data from streaming videos and uploading/downloading files through email. I use it pretty much whenever I'm not at home or school where I don't have wifi.

What do you want to use your iPad for? I use mine for work - so it's important for me to have an Internet connection available often, that's why I bought the 3G version.

4. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

Everyone is different. At work and home, I'm connected to wifi. Other than that, I'm always connected to data on my iPad 2... but not constantly consuming data. It really depends on if you take your iPad with you everywhere. I usually have my iPad with me everywhere I go. Good point on the GPS feature that someone posted. I don't use GPS apps on my iPad because I don't have a way to mount it in my car. When I did use it on my iPad, the only thing I could use is the voice navigation only. I mainly use my iPhone for navigation since I can mount it on the windshield, and actually see and hear the device.

5. jmthigpen thread starter macrumors regular

6GB of data in a week and a half? how much $$ is that? doesn't it get expensive?

6. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

i don't know about him, but it costs me 30/month.

7. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

It is better to have and not want than to want and not have.

This is my rule for extras on a iPhone or iPad. You can activate a data plan when you need it. Therefore if your out and about and need a map app it is nice to be able to use the large screen on the iPad rather than the small one on the iPhone.

Also I have the unlimited data plan so I don't worry about how much I use it.

8. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Bought a straight talk sim and I'm paying $45/month for unlimited data.

9. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

A LOT.

The majority of places I frequent do not have free wifi access, and it can be especially useful if you're using it while moving (unless you're on a train or something that has wifi).

I had a pre-owned 1st gen iPad Wifi and it was excellent but when I realized how much I loved the iPad but how limited I was by the lack of 3G I had to sell it and go 3G.

10. poloponies macrumors 68030

I use 3G daily, whether during my train commute, in the car, at the airport, sitting in the plane before takeoff, while traveling for work, during pleasure trips out of the country (with locally-purchased SIMS). While I probably would have purchased an iPad if it didn't offer 3G, the fact that it's available makes purchasing the 3G version a no-brainer for me.

11. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

I've had my 3G iPad since last fall, but have had the 3G activated only two months so far. I plant to activate it during months I would travel out of town for a spell. Otherwise I just use it offline or with the home wi-fi.

Mike