iPad 3G Jailbreak options for 3.2.1 >3.2.2/4.2.1

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by Spectrum, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Spectrum, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010

Spectrum macrumors 6502a

Spectrum

I've done plenty of searching/reading, but still find things confusing so am looking for some friendly advice.

I am running a 32GB iPad 3G, 3.2.1, jailbroken with jailbreakme website. Running from Mac OSX 10.5.8.
    The only things I really need are iFile to modify a few preference files and backgrounder/circuitous. In general I am happy on 3.2.1

BUT: Some software I need to use has been released that needs 3.2.2 (and will probably soon need 4.2.1).

A few days ago, I downloaded Tiny Umbrella, and did the save blobs thing - It saved:
    iPad 3.2.1 (7B405)-xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    iPad 3.2.2 (7B500)-xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    iPad 4.2.1 (8C148)-xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    iPad 4.2b3 (8C5115c)-xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I found this a bit odd, as everything I had read online said that now 4.2.1 is out only 4.2.1+ blobs can be saved. Was this something to do with jailbreaking awhile ago?

Anyway: iTunes wants me to update to 4.2.1.

How do I: Update to 3.2.2 and jailbreak (do I use GreenPoison app for this?)
    Will iFile, backgrounder/circuitous, and 3G connection work OK after jailbreak?

How do I: Update to 4.2.1 and jailbreak (Should I upgrade with iTunes first, then use redsnow for tethered jailbreak?)
    Will iFile and 3G connection work OK?

If things are not as I need after jailbreak, how would I downgrade back to 3.2.1?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Ok, so let's start at your SHSHs, you are correct the only thing you can save "Now" is 4.2.1, however once you tell Cydia to save your SHSHS (looking at your file, you did it back on 3.2.1 when you got your ipad), Cydia will request the SHSHs for you, without you doing nothing. That is why you got all the SHSHs that have been release after 3.2.1.

Now, Since you got all of them you got options,

1) yes you can go to 3.2.2, Download the firmware for your device, start Tiny Umbrella, and start the "TSS server", them go to iTunes and Option+Restore, pick the firmware and restore. Them you can use Greenpois0n or Limera1n to JB.

2) You can also go to 4.2.1, for this you don't need anything but itunes since this is the current firmware and Apple is still signing it, however the Jailbreak for this Firmware is a Tethered Jailbreak using redsn0w (meaning every time you reboot your device you need a computer near by with RedSn0w in order to rejailbreak again).

So if you don't really need 4.2.1 as you mentioned, just wait a bit, an untethered jailbreak for it should be out shortly.

3) if something goes wrong, you don't like it, or you simple got a lot time in your hand and want to restore a 100 times more, you can do it to any firmware you want (Since you got all the SHSHs) just get a cpy of the firmware and run Tiny Umbrella TSS server and done. :D

3. Spectrum thread starter macrumors 6502a

Spectrum

Brilliant! - thanks maturola. So, I guess, as well as saving the SHSH it is useful to keep a local copy of all the IPSW files too?

I may try the 4.2.1 JB - Assuming the only things I need are iFile and that I can still modify some preference files: once they are modified I shouldn't actually ever need to be JB anyway, correct?

And to clarify: Is it correct that the tethered JB 4.2.1 can still be rebooted untethered back to non-JB 4.2.1 ?

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

You don't really need the IPSW, those are in Apple's server for download and pretty much all over.

4.2.1 is a Tethered JB, you will need a computer+redsn0w for every single reboot, If your battery runs out, if for some reason iOS crashed, if you go to an airport and need to turn it off, if you GF or Brother or any relative turn it off, anything that may cause the iPad to reboot you will need a Computer+Redsn0w, i just want to make sure you understand that.

and yes, you can go back and restore 4.2.1 to a fresh non-JB stage anytime.

5. Spectrum thread starter macrumors 6502a

Spectrum

Hmmm...From what I had read, I thought if you reboot untethered it just resets back to factory, not temporarily bricks.

But still: If i can change those preference files while JB, will they stick there after a nonJB restore? Won't those prefs be saved by iTunes and then be part of the native iTunes restore?

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

If you install anything that use mobile substrate it will get stuck at the pineapple logo.

And no, if you change some files and settings while JB, once you go back to a non-JB stage by restoring, those files will be overwritten and those changes will be lost. (some stuff can stay and be save by itunes, like the carrier change by MakeItmine used to stay, however no longer works on 4.2.1).

7. Spectrum thread starter macrumors 6502a

Spectrum

Thanks for info. There seems to be a lot of misleading information online. How does one know in advance which Cydia apps use Mobile Substrate?

Assuming iFile does use it, can I install iFile/ms, use it, then uninstall iFile/ms and reboot untethered?

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Pretty much anything that modify the OS will use mobile subtrate, anything that modify the springboard. Ifile isna stand alone app

9. Spectrum thread starter macrumors 6502a

Spectrum

I have upgraded to 3.2.2 using TU, and restored/synced all my data (took over an hour!).

VERY interestingly, even though I have not reJailbroken 3.2.2, the preference mods I made (to increase number of email messages and to turn off autocorrect) still work! Brilliant!

Sadly, of course, backgrounding/multitasking is lost. But I suspect that the vm hack I added may still be intact!

Question is whether 4.2 would overwrite the preference file modifications...