iPad iPad 3G jailbroken. Spirit Storm imminent.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ImperialX, Apr 30, 2010.

1. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

[​IMG]

Just minutes ago, iPhone Dev Team member @MuscleNerd demonstrated that iPad 3G doesn't have any differences to the W-Fi model in terms of holes for jailbreaking via. the upcoming Spirit jailbreak by @Comex. This jailbreak is designed to bring untethered jailbreak to all devices on 3.1.2, 3.1.3 and 3.2. This includes the iPhone 3GS and the iPod touch 3G, and obviously, the iPad.

Since the iPad 3G didn't bring any surprises to the jailbreak, it's now completely ready for release, and can land at any moment now. @Comex tweeted that he's holding off for a while to allow people to back up their SHSHs.

The iPhone Dev Team has also posted a blog entry to encourage you to back up your SHSHs, as the jailbreak is coming imminently.

Bring on the Spirit Storm!

2. ImperialX thread starter macrumors 65816

ImperialX

3. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Woot! Woot!

4. dojoman macrumors 65816

How do you backup iPad SHSH since it's not even JB yet?

5. JamesHP macrumors 6502

6. ImperialX thread starter macrumors 65816

ImperialX

7. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

route iTunes through Sauriks server..

8. ImperialX thread starter macrumors 65816

ImperialX

It's best if you do that and also save a local copy via. the method I posted in the post above, in the extremely rare case Apple goes after Mr. Freeman's servers...

9. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Agreed, I routed through Saurik when he first released it, just did umbrella about a week ago.. just to add an extra layer of protection...

10. HXGuy macrumors 68000

I backed up the SHSH using the Umbrella tool...I think?

I typed in the ECID (found it by booting up the iPad in Recovery mode - to do this, hold down the Home button and then connect the USB cable until the Connect to iTunes appears, then go to System Profiler on your Mac, choose USB, choose the Ipad, and look for the ECID code and write it down).

After entering the ECID in Umbrella, I chose the iPad from the drop down menu and Chose Cydia as the Repository. It said it was complete and that it was uploaded.

I tried to do the same and to save the SHSH on "localhost", which I assume means my computer, but it gave me an error.

How do you access the SHSH from the Cydia Server if you need it later?

11. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

When you route iTunes to Saurik's server, iTunes will fetch it thinking it's talking to Apples Servers but in actuallity iTunes is talking to Saurik's servers which enables you to downgrade if you accidentally upgraded..

12. HXGuy macrumors 68000

How do you save a local copy? I have the Umbrella program but it says:

Could not get your ECID SHSH for that model/version: sorry.

This is if I select localhost for the SHSH Repository. It said it saved my SHSH to Cydia when I went that route.

13. Chodite macrumors 6502a

Chodite

Good stuff.

So in theory, I'll be able to JB my fully updated iPhone 3GS with Spirit, install MyWi... as well as JB my iPad Wifi! (right?)

14. ImperialX thread starter macrumors 65816

ImperialX

UPDATE:

@Comex has just tweeted that the reason he's not releasing Spirit this very second is because he wants more people to back up their SHSHs first. Come on, guys! Do it!

The instructions are all on the blog. Should be straightforward to follow.

Yes. This is untethered jailbreak for all devices, regardless of baseband or firmware version (except 4.0).

15. ApplEngineer macrumors regular

The local copy is saved in the directory you ran umbrella from. Even if you select sauriks server it saves a local copy where umbrella is run from. If you ran it from the dmg I suggest copying the app to another folder and run it so you know where it saves your shsh.

16. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Thanks for the tip. I was running it from the DMG...I went ahead and created a folder called SHSH, moved the Umbrella program file there, ran it again and sure enough, it did save the SHSH in the same folder. Good stuff. :)

17. ImperialX thread starter macrumors 65816

ImperialX

The filename should be something like "XXXXXXXXXXXXX-ipad-3.2.shsh"

18. Sdevante macrumors 6502

Total newb question - if I jailbreak, can I revert back in case I need to make a warranty claim? or is there some way they know that I jailbroke?

19. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Yes, just restore it in iTunes.

20. WilliamG macrumors G3

I wish he'd release it! If people are dumb enough not to follow instructions and back up their ECID, well more fool them. Release it, pleeeeease! :)

21. ImperialX thread starter macrumors 65816

ImperialX

If you put it that way, he doesn't even need to design a GUI for his jailbreak since the 'smart' ones will know how to execute Spirit via. the Terminal. ;)

Just let him do things at his own pace.

22. romeo22 macrumors member

Is the jailbreak coming out tomorrow saturday? well actually its saturday here already.

23. jmack549 macrumors 6502

Guys quick note...notice the username in the chat is "comex_" and not "comex". When I asked him if it was him he said no. Just an FYI.