Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
Does anyone know if a macrocell will be able to be used with the iPad? Will the sim card have a 'phone number' that can be added to the mcell?

boogieman

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2004
Does anyone know if a macrocell will be able to be used with the iPad? Will the sim card have a 'phone number' that can be added to the mcell?

I do know that when I use my company laptop on my 3g microcell for vpn only. I had to take the sim out of it and get the phone number from it and program it into my microcell. But really why would u want to do this since you have wifi at home with broadband correct? I wouldnt waste my megs just for this....

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
We'll have to see how the 3G handles the whole ID thing. Until we get our hands on them, we don't know if they do or don't have 'telephone' numbers assigned to them from Day 1, when you first use 3G, or if there's some other scheme.

But I agree with the first reply: what would you do over a picocell that you couldn't do for free over a home WiFi setup?

pspiegel

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2006
We'll have to see how the 3G handles the whole ID thing. Until we get our hands on them, we don't know if they do or don't have 'telephone' numbers assigned to them from Day 1, when you first use 3G, or if there's some other scheme.

But I agree with the first reply: what would you do over a picocell that you couldn't do for free over a home WiFi setup?

If you are talking about the ATT microcell there is documentation on their site that says that unfortunately you won't be able to use it yet with the iPad. They discuss kindles etc in the article and i believe it even mentioned the iPad, but they did say that a way to do it by imei is in development. Unless they assign a phone number I doubt it will work.

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
I was discussing more in general, but that's an interesting comment, since it implies that 3G's won't have standard 'phone numbers' to link to a device like a micro/pico cell.

O and A

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
New York City
Why would u want to use it with a mircocell? Mircrocell is connected to internet right? Wouldn't you rather use the wifi instead? Assuming you have wifi. Don't see why you would have microcell and not have wifi.

Am I missing something here?

oboshoe

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2010
It works!

Just got my 3g and registered for 3g data.

Your "phone number" for the ipad is visibile under the "celluar data" tab after you enter your 3g password.

From that, put that phone number into your microcell configuration.

About 10 minutes later the tag in the upper left of the ipad will indicate that its on the microcell.

Now having said that, its a bit redundant since you proably have wifi if you have a microcell.

I still wanted to add it just to make everything complete though :)

Macconqeso

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2010
Just showing that it works. If you can't get the microcell tag try restarting your iPad.
screenshotmcell.jpg

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Just got my 3g and registered for 3g data.

Your "phone number" for the ipad is visibile under the "celluar data" tab after you enter your 3g password.

From that, put that phone number into your microcell configuration.

About 10 minutes later the tag in the upper left of the ipad will indicate that its on the microcell.

Now having said that, its a bit redundant since you proably have wifi if you have a microcell.

I still wanted to add it just to make everything complete though :)

The only compelling reason to use Microcell is that you could be on 250MB plan but UNLIMITED 3G at home. Most people already own wireless routers though. So I suppose if you're trying to skimp on $50 router upgrade?

CarlWain74

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2010
Although it appears that the downlink is limited by the Microcell as some people are suggesting on other forums adding your 3G iPad to the Microcell makes sense if you are on the unlimited plan.
A good 3G data connection will drain your battery far less than a WiFi connection will over time (due to the power level control within the 3G signalling messages).
Of course if you not unlimited on the 3G iPAD it makes no sense at all to use it on the Microcell.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Why would u want to use it with a mircocell? Mircrocell is connected to internet right? Wouldn't you rather use the wifi instead? Assuming you have wifi. Don't see why you would have microcell and not have wifi.

Am I missing something here?

Email push is the big one.

On 3G, my MobileMe, Yahoo, and GMail push within seconds of being sent. On wi-fi, it's only when the iPad is awake and its spends most of its time asleep.

BJ

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Just showing that it works. If you can't get the microcell tag try restarting your iPad.

Quick question:

My house has lousy AT&T service. The wife and I can never rely on it to make phone calls, always on a landline.

If I purchase the microcell, will it allow me to configure 3 devices to receive signals from it? My iPhone, my iPad 3G, her Blackberry?

BJ

martin1000

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2005
Washington, D.C.
Quick question:

My house has lousy AT&T service. The wife and I can never rely on it to make phone calls, always on a landline.

If I purchase the microcell, will it allow me to configure 3 devices to receive signals from it? My iPhone, my iPad 3G, her Blackberry?

BJ

Yes. I believe it is up to 8 or 10 devices.

I just got mine last weekend and it is great!

martin1000

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2005
Washington, D.C.
More info:

The 3G MicroCell only works with AT&T 3G devices such as cell phones and data cards. Some features of the 3G MicroCell are:

Handles up to four simultaneous calls
Allows call transfer to the cellular network
Works on UMTS bands (1900 MHz and 850 MHz)
Supports E911 Service
You may grant access to other AT&T 3G phone customers, up to a total of 10 lines.

Another interesting feature is the portability of the 3G MicroCell. It can be moved to anywhere AT&T provides service as long as it’s registered online

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Yes. I believe it is up to 8 or 10 devices.

I just got mine last weekend and it is great!

Just called my locall AT&T store and learned something cool to pass along. AT&T is offering a $100 rebate on the Microcell if you sign up for their $20 a month unlimited calling plan.

And per the AT&T rep, after the first month you call up and cancel this plan and the net is an $80 rebate on the $150 device. For $70, adding a Microcell in a weak AT&T coverage area is a massive no brainer.

Picking mine up tonight.

BJ

CarlWain74

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2010
Just called my locall AT&T store and learned something cool to pass along. AT&T is offering a $100 rebate on the Microcell if you sign up for their $20 a month unlimited calling plan.

And per the AT&T rep, after the first month you call up and cancel this plan and the net is an $80 rebate on the $150 device. For $70, adding a Microcell in a weak AT&T coverage area is a massive no brainer.

Picking mine up tonight.

BJ

You will be a happy Microcell user, I promise...

dennisj00

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2009
Hey BJ! The microcell works, so does the HR2xes with Doubleplay!!

Isn't technology wonderful!!

sakumar

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2009
My iPad 3G works with the AT&T MicroCell.

One problem I've noticed is with the location service -- iPad 3G uses (a) cellular tower triangulation (b) wifi Skyhook and (c) GPS to determine its location.

Sometimes when the GPS signal is weak then the location is way off. I think that happens when it uses cell-tower triangulation and gets confused when it is connected to the MicroCell.

This is a known problem even for the iPhone with the AT&T MicroCell.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
You will be a happy Microcell user, I promise...

So far so good. A bit dicey in the setup, but I now have 5 bars for the iPhone and the iPad 3G.

Best of all, when both wi-fi and 3G are turned on I get Push notifications for all email including Yahoo and MobileMe.

I'll let you all know how it goes in the next few days, but so far for only $70 the Microcell seems to be a must-have for those of us with weak AT&T coverage. I've got awesome voice/data handling at home now for voice calls and the added bonus are the Push notifications on the iPad.

BJ

Luci3n

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2008
what would you do over a micocell that you couldn't do for free over a home WiFi setup?

Unfortunately, the WiFi connection on my iPad is terrible. I can't connect to WiFi from my Backyard at all, even though my MacBook and iPhone get great WiFi signal out there.

My Microcell, however, gives me a full 5 bars of signal all over my house and backyard. That gives me my only option for getting internet on my iPad back there.

..at least until Apple fixes the WiFi on my iPad (fingers crossed).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.