iPad 3G or iPad 3G+WiFi For Tethering

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mr. Incredible, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Mr. Incredible macrumors 6502a

I'm planning on getting an iPad within the next 6-7 months. I want either the iPad 2 HD/Pro or the iPad 3 (basically whatever comes out with a higher resolution).

Anyway, I'm thinking of jailbreaking my Verizon iPhone 4 so I can tether 3G data to my iPad.

My question is, do I need the WiFi+3G iPad or the WiFi one?

What I'm wanting to do is possible also, right?

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

You'll just need the Wi-Fi version if you want to tether. Also, if Verizon is anything like AT&T they'll probably start busting people for tethering illegally.

3. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Don't you have the option for "personal hotspot" in the usa?

4. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

^^We do, but both AT&T and Verizon charge out the butt for it. Crazy charges.

5. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

AT&T's isn't too crazy. I pay 30 a month for unlimited right now. If I switch to tethering I pay 45 for 4 GBs to use between devices.

As of now I won't be switching until AT&T pulls my unlimited data from my cold, dead hands.

6. Mr. Incredible thread starter macrumors 6502a

So, if I just get the WiFi one, and only jailbreak my iPhone 4 and get the Tethering app. My wifi iPad would get data also by connecting to my phone?

That's bad ass.

How would Verizon catch people?

I currently have the unlimited data for $30, if I wanted the Tethering option, will I end up losing my unlimited data? And how much extra will it cost me?

7. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I don't work for either, but I would assume they're looking at packets and how much data your "iPhone" is using. Some peeps around here that use it could probably give you a better answer.

You'd have to talk to Verizon, but yes, I think so. That's how it is with AT&T.

From Verizon's site, it seems you can 50 bucks a month for 4 GBs and get "mobile hot spot" included. That's not bad as AT&T is only 5 bucks cheaper.

Also as of May 2011, it seems Verizon is cracking down on people using tethering on jailbroken apps.

http://phandroid.com/2011/05/31/verizon-cracking-down-on-users-illegally-tethering-on-their-network/

8. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Yes, that's how it would work.

Verizon would catch you because you're using their internet on a device you didn't sign up for (iPad). They can tell what device is using their service.

If you want the jailbreaking/screwing-verizon-over/cheap Tethering option, it won't cost anything. Just the price of the iPad Wifi. If you want to do it legitly, and pay Verizon for their services, it would cost $50 for 4GB of data to use with mobile-hotspot.

9. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

I thought they looked at data usage (volume and rate) to determine if someone were illegally tethering. I didn't think they could actually tell what device is tethered to your phone (if its jailbroken).

10. Mr. Incredible thread starter macrumors 6502a

But I don't even use that much data! I'm on my phone a lot, especially at work, and I probably use less than a Gig a month.

Plus, I got unlimited data; why should I pay $50 for 4gb, when I use wayyy less?!

They gotta have a smaller option.

11. Mr. Incredible thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was reading in the droid forums. They said that they're cracking down on people doing illegal Tethering in high amounts of data, like over 10-20gbs a month; basically the people that abuse it.

I read that as long as your unlimited usage is under 5gb a month, than you should be fine.

I'm currently using probably around 1gb a month. When I use the iPad, it will be mostly at school (where there is wifi). The only time that I will ever tether, is if I'm driving and need directions, I'll use the iPad (because of the bigger screen) to navigate; instead of my phone.

And using the maps app on your iPad while driving shouldn't consume a lot of data, right? I'm assuming little to none.