iPad + 3G or iPhone + 3G?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dougbrowne, Jan 27, 2010.

1. dougbrowne macrumors member

Okay - I currently own an iPhone and love it. But I won't be able to pay another $30 a month for data on the iPad so my options are..

-iPhone keep 3G and iPad Wifi only

-or Drop the 3G off my ATT plan and get data on the iPad.

It's a really hard decision. Basically right now I'm leaning towards dropping 3G off the phone and getting it on the iPad. The only drawback that I can see is that the iPad has no camera and if I take pics with the iPhone I won't be able to email, upload, etc on the fly because of the lack of 3G. So yeah hard decision.

What do you guys think I should do, and why?

2. bakerster macrumors regular

personally I'm going to get the cheap iPad just to use around the house. Already got the wireless internet when I'm out and about with the iPhone

3. dougbrowne thread starter macrumors member

Thats good for some people, but I plan on taking the iPad with me wherever I go, even more so since I'm a student. So hmm.

4. jaykk macrumors 6502a

mifi

I am seriously thinking of getting a MIFI from Verizon so that i can connect to multiple devices. I want to go with the cheaper version, but it lacks GPS. So probably get one with 3g. I want to use it in my car.

5. dougbrowne thread starter macrumors member

The only thing about a MiFi is that the plan is SUPER expensive and doesn't even have unlimited data...

6. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Easy - you CAN'T drop the Data from your iPhone.

7. dougbrowne thread starter macrumors member

Of course you can. My mom did it with her's.

8. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

I don't know how she did it, but data plan is mandatory for all iPhone.

9. dougbrowne thread starter macrumors member

You can drop it off the plan afterwards though.

10. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

I would say keep the iPhone and get the iPad with wifi only. If you're a college student, hopefully your campus has wifi that you can use. and if you want to use it on the go, take it to places with free wifi, like starbucks or something

11. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

I still use my 2G iPhone so I most likely would go with WiFi only. I have WiFi at home, on campus, and at work. Paying $30 per month just seems like a waste to me. Couple more years of undergrad + grad school means I will have WiFi access for most of the day between school, home, and work. If I wasn't a student I would most likely have a 3G or 3GS iPhone with a data plan since I would lose that campus WiFi.