IPAD 3G owners - Pre or Post Paid ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by richxps, Apr 14, 2011.

1. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

Just wondering what all of the fellow Ipad 3G owners prefer and why. Pre Paid or Post Paid on ATT ?

2. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Prepaid because on prepaid I can choose which month I do or don't have service and I can change the amount of data I have depending on how much I expect to use it that month.

3. richxps thread starter macrumors 65816

richxps

I just canceled my post paid because I realized I don't use the 3G often since I'm on wifi so I'll jump on prepaid when I have to travel.
    Does anyone know when I can use the prepaid when I cancel post paid? I'd it at the end of the billing cycle? Reason I ask is because I just got a error mag when I tried the prepaid

4. luckysob macrumors regular

When the day comes that I want cellular data, I will do pre-paid of 250MB. If I consume that, I'll get the next level of data.

Then I will cancel it two days later.

5. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

You can't get pre-paid with a post-paid sim and you currently have a post-paid sim take a trip down to the AT&T store and pick up a pre-paid iPad microsim and you'll be good to go.

6. richxps thread starter macrumors 65816

richxps

I used the same sim, just killed the postpaid as of today and now I have the prepaid option appear in my iPad.

7. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

8. mcfly2 macrumors member

I started a similar thread on this. I'm in the same boat, just canceled my postpaid, but was told that I'd have to call or visit ATT to create a new prepaid account. Can you tell me where you're seeing this prepaid option? If I go to Settings->Cellular Data-> View Account, I get the message "Connection Failed. The connection to the server was lost. Please try again later." I am connected to a wifi network.

9. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Can you make this thread a poll? I'm curious about this, and am thinking of switching over.

10. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I've noticed that the account settings page is just as slow to load over wifi as 3G. It might be loading over 3G regardless of other active connections. Do you have 3G service where you're trying to connect?

11. mcfly2 macrumors member

No, I canceled my postpaid data plan, so no 3G service. That's why I'm asking where he's seeing the option to enable a prepaid plan.

12. BobbieM629 macrumors regular

You HAVE to get a new SIM if your going over from post paid to pre-paid or vice versa.. There is NOT another way.. However, save your SIM in case you want to go back to the previous option & NOT make a trip to a store..

Now for me I am post paid. I want it on my bill, plus I have a Corp discount on my account.. So I actually get the data plan for cheaper then I would prepaid. Also if you are prepaid and hit the mark, you have to find WiFi to repurchase.. With post paid you are just rebilled..

In the end its a personal choice. I have the 250mb option for $9 a month with my Corp discount.. I've not went over it yet, but I know there will be a point at which I will.. Not often but I will. I am glad to have the security of my post paid accoujnt though.

13. richxps thread starter macrumors 65816

richxps

The rep had to kill my iPad post paid account as if today instead if waiting for the end of the month. Once she did that I clicked on cellular data and clicked on view account and my prepaid option was there to sign up with credit card

14. aristobrat macrumors G4

x2. I consistently use 3G, and I get a corp discount for all of my post-paid plans, so it's perfect for me.

AFAIK, prepaid automatically renews when you hit the limit, no? I do know that you don't need WiFi to sign up for pre-paid -- they will let you do that over 3G without an account.

15. Mland macrumors newbie

I myself use a post-paid Vodafone iPad subscription.
    500Mb for €20,-/month, can be stopped or suspended monthly.
    I commute to work daily for almost an hour and use 3G on the train while there is no wifi available.
    When I wouldn't have to be commuting I probably would opt for the pre-paid T-mobile bundle option.
    200Mb for €10,- and no subscription, you get a month to use the 200Mb and when you run out before you just purchase a new bundle and have a month to use it.

16. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I have a nice FAN on my account too. I was wondering if the iPad would count as another line on an active Family Plan, or if it is its own separate entity within your account. Reason is that I don't want to give up the fifth line to a non-phone.

17. aristobrat macrumors G4

Shows up a separate line on mine.

18. mcfly2 macrumors member

I'd rather shove a hot poker in my ear than deal with phone-based customer service every time I want change/activate/deactivate my plan. That's why I'd go for the prepaid plan.

19. BobbieM629 macrumors regular

Mine too! It has a unique # and according to AT&T I have 4 lines (3 phone lines & 1 data only line).