ipad 3G Questions AT&T + VZW

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dloreski, Oct 15, 2010.

1. dloreski macrumors member

Hi everyone.
    I had been with VZW all my life, but switched to AT&T for the BB 9700.
    I'm very happy with AT&T service, but my BB is on EDGE a lot. However, being that my main concern for it is emails, it really doesn't bother me.
    So I have a few questions....... I'm needing to access a few forum web sites in my truck while traveling and it seems like an ipad would be very useful for this.
    If I get one on AT&T, will I be able to go to web pages if there is only EDGE service?
    If I get one on VZW, do I always have to use this myfi thing to connect if there is no wifi?
    Also, when I turn myfi on, is there a boot up process that takes time or is it instant on?
    And, when I turn on my ipad, is there a boot up time or is it instant on?
    Any answers or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    - Dave

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

yes, it will just be slower than with 3G

Yes you do, there is no CDMA iPad so Verizon is selling the wifi version plus the mifi which creates a wireless network for you to connect to.

3. melman101 macrumors 68030

Ok, I'll do my best to help you out.

On AT&T, yes you will be able to surf web pages on EDGE. However, it will be incredibly slow. Also, this iPad will have a 3G built in, and GPS comes included as well.

If you get the one on Verizon, it is a straight WiFi iPad. So that means no GPS capability. So, yes, anytime you are not around a regular WiFi point, you would need to access your MyFi.

I don't know about the boot up time for the MyFi.

And as for the iPad, it does have a boot up time, but once it's on you can leave it in standby for a very long time without running down the battery. So essentially, it will be instant on everytime you need it.

4. dloreski thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys!
    A couple other things popped up here.......
    If I get the AT&T 3G ipad and don't like their service, can I then sign up with VZW and use it with their MyFi?
    If so, am I still on month to month or do I have to sign a contract?
    Also, does anyone know if I can plug the MyFi into the truck 12V outlet to charge it?

5. melman101 macrumors 68030

If you get the 3G iPad, yes you can cancel it. Those plans are pre-paid so you are not required to sign up at all. And when you do pay, it is month to month. Also, you'll have that GPS chip in there.

Yes, separately, you can buy a Verizon MiFi. It might not be available with those great plans that you see. I've seen that you need to buy the iPad from them in order to get the good MiFi plans. I am not definite on that so you'll have to check on that.

Also, not sure about the Verizon MiFi whether they will sell the MiFi separately with pre-paid month to month.

Yes, you can plug the MiFi into your power outlet using something like this.
    http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Verizon-MiFi-2200-Charger/dp/B003JNEDIA

6. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I would get AT&T 3G ipad. I would never even look at Verizon Mi-fi + iPad Wi-fi. It sounds like it's a good deal, but it's a huge RIP OFF!

20 dollars for 1GB of data is absolutely terrible deal.
    35 dollars for 3GB? That is crazy.
    And they even have 50 dollars plan. How dare they...

That's not all. Wi-fi iPad has no GPS. 3G iPad does.
    Mi-fi will get 3-4 hours of battery life at least. Be sure to charge it everyday. I do not with my iPad and I get 10-11 hours of battery life.

Bottom line, If you live in terrible AT&T Coverage area, then go get urself wi-fi iPad, but I still wouldn't go with Verizon mi-fi. It's a rip off. There are other deals out there.

7. rnelan7 macrumors 6502

rnelan7

Do you think that early next year when the Verizon 4g goes online they will offer the same deal but with a 4g mifi?

8. osxnewbe macrumors regular

I think the verizon deal could potentially be good. The only downside that i see is the iPad is a wifi model without the gps chip. However, the iPad/MiFi could still be a viable option.

One thng to consider is VZW's 3G coverage compared to AT&T. I know in my state VZW has 3G coverage for 95% of the state. For AT&T, 3G is limited to metropolitan areas and along interstates (with some coverage holes in rural areas).

I am currently using my iPad with a mifi and have been very happy with it. Yesterday, I used the myfi for a 2 1/2 car trip with no drops in 3G coverage.

Yes you get about 4 to 5 hours battery life from the mifi but I typically carry a car and plug in charger so the only place I have to typically worry about battery life is when I'm on my sailboat and not plugged into shore power.

9. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

All AT&T data plans include free Wi-Fi from any AT&T Hotspot in the U.S. :)

10. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

The guys said it a couple post up, coverage area. I've been with Verizon for ever, initially because I got a good deal but since they are freakin' awesome in Michigan, especially the surrounding area I'm in.

At&t and even sprint and tmobile, from their own maps aren't any better than fair. Horrible coverage here. do a little research.

11. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

My experience on Edge hasn't been pretty most times. I bounce here at my house occasionally and it isntas bad as when I'm the other two towns. I almost don't think I'm really on edge despite it showing that.

I love the built in 3G, but if I lived in a primarily edge area, i'd go verizon in a heart beat. However, do check out the Virgin Mobile mifi and plans and see if that might work for ya too!

12. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I have the iPad 3G with AT&T but I think your representation of the Verizon bundle is extreme.

AT&T $15 250MB, Verizon 1GB $20
    AT&T 2GB $25, Verizon 3GB $35

Verizon is absolute rip-off? I think your calculator is broken or you work for AT&T. The 3G iPad has better battery life and GPS which are all pluses. But if I had it to do over I'd likely go for Verizon, I have no love for AT&T after dealing with them since the original iPad launch. You say there are better deals out there. Like what? I've looked at them and don't see much.